Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Leupold Kenai 25-60x80mm reviews/experiences

MTGomer

I am interested in hearing honest feedback about this spotting scope from anyone who has actually used one in the field.

I have one on the way that I have won. I will have it in a few weeks, but in the meantime would be interested to hear other's experiences with it, if they have any.

Thanks in advance for any info - good or bad.

I had one but it's been a few years now...I'm trying to remember if that was a previous generation. Randy11 bought it from me, not sure if he still has it. The Kenai was pretty good for the money, but it's no hidden treasure. I'd say if you've used some spotters across a range of quality it'll be about like you expect. If I was considering a $1,000 spotter new, I'd rather have a used non-HD alpha, or the 62mm Leica APO I got for about that.

Hope that helps, you could pm Randy11.

This one is the 'SX-2' which is HD I believe.
I'm not sure when they switched to this generation

I have a relative who guides a little, its what he uses. He was going to sell it but after others telling him and him looking thru other very nice spotters he decided to keep it.

It came today. Initial impressions on quality are pretty decent.
Not a fan of the type of eye piece and objective caps it uses. Focus wheel seemed to turn hard. It could just need broken in, and was pretty cold from riding around in the UPS truck, but its cold hunting too.

Other than that, it seems solid. Its not as long as I thought it would be, which is nice.

Hope to check it out better this weekend.

I think it's a keeper. Clarity at dusk exceeded that of my 60mm viper HD quite a bit. ( you would expect that with the larger objective). I watched some antelope up by the airport at sundown and then some geese on a pond after sunset. Very noticeable difference.

The stiff focus wheel and zoom is not ideal. Especially on higher powers. It requires you to actually hold the scope with one hand and twist with the other, whereas my vortex can be fine adjusted with my fingertip. Hard to stay on target on 50x while adjusting focus with this.

It may get upgraded some day, but this year it's going sheep hunting.

Last edited:
I had one but it's been a few years now...I'm trying to remember if that was a previous generation. Randy11 bought it from me, not sure if he still has it. The Kenai was pretty good for the money, but it's no hidden treasure. I'd say if you've used some spotters across a range of quality it'll be about like you expect. If I was considering a $1,000 spotter new, I'd rather have a used non-HD alpha, or the 62mm Leica APO I got for about that.

Hope that helps, you could pm Randy11.

Randy sold it to me, and I ended up selling it when I moved from eastern Montana. It was a decent spotter, but I've become a bit of an optics snob and it didn't cut it for me.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back