Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Things to do with elk leather?

Magnum Sherpa

Anyone have an idea for things to do with elk leather besides the normal gloves, moccasins, badass fringed leather jacket? I had sent a hide to be tanned hair on, but apparently they screwed up and just turned it into leather with the hair off. I'm not sure what I would do with it, so I was considering just asking for my deposit back and telling them to keep it.

Custom seat covers for your truck? Rifle scabbard to match the fringed leather jacket? Beats me, I've only made one thing out of leather in my life...

Custom seat covers for your truck? Rifle scabbard to match the fringed leather jacket? Beats me, I've only made one thing out of leather in my life...

My dad did just that with a couple of hides and all hand stitched. After he passed away and we sold his truck I kept the leather. Just haven't figured out how to clean/soften them so I can use the leather for other projects. The seat bottom is pretty crusty, but the back is not too bad.

The rifle scabbard sounds cool. Not sure how elk leather would be for making a rifle sling or three? Maybe some cartridge holders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back