Outdoor Industry Association

OriginalOscar

Where are the conservation projects or public lands projects. https://outdoorindustry.org/

Sportsman founded groups like RMEF, DU,TU have an ethic of political, funding, and projects to benefit conservation and public lands.

OIA not hands on.

After 20 years in Utah they have benefited us with four exceptional legacy programs.
- Broadcast Outdoors - facetime your friends while outside
- Experience Your Abilities - sounds like a duplication of scouts and community rec programs
- Let's All Fish - duplication of DWR fisheries program
- Park City High School Mtn Bike Scholarships - yep a disadvantaged group of kids

Don't you think comparing a group of industry leaders to conservation organizations is a bit like comparing apples to oranges?

Let's see, RMEF's core mission: conserve land for improved elk habitat. OIA's core mission: increase revenue for its members.

It is probably in OIA's best interest to support public land, but conservation and Preserving Public land is not their core mission.

Where are the conservation projects or public lands projects. https://outdoorindustry.org/

Sportsman founded groups like RMEF, DU,TU have an ethic of political, funding, and projects to benefit conservation and public lands.

OIA not hands on.

After 20 years in Utah they have benefited us with four exceptional legacy programs.
- Broadcast Outdoors - facetime your friends while outside
- Experience Your Abilities - sounds like a duplication of scouts and community rec programs
- Let's All Fish - duplication of DWR fisheries program
- Park City High School Mtn Bike Scholarships - yep a disadvantaged group of kids

Your argument is ridiculous. How about the fact this show provides a lot of jobs and economic inputs?

It appears Utah lost far more than they thought. Apparently the Outdoor industry had a letter of intent to expand the twice a year show to 5 times a year. The interbike show was also considering to move to Utah which would have brought an impact of $22 million a year itself. All that Utah delegation had to do was back off on Bears Ears and the transfer. Apparently that meeting didn't go well and they were essentially told to take a hike in a bad way. Right after that meeting they tore up the letter of intent and decided they would depart from Utah. Utah just gave up about half a billion dollars over their ridiculous and stupid interest in remaining in the drill only economy and turning away from a diversification of economy. One things for sure, whatever state gets this show is gonna be greatly appreciative of it. Go ahead Utahns, keep voting for these same crooks not listening to you and screwing you.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4955606-...by-drill-rhetoric-philosophy-costs-all?page=2

"Go ahead Utahns, keep voting for these same crooks not listening to you and screwing you".

While thankful for folks like you in Utah, Oneye, the majority of Utahn's apparently want what "these...crooks" have to offer. As I just responded to RobG in the MT Leg. HJ 9 thread, these people got voted in by the majority of voters in their respective districts and states.
Seems to be a lot of misplaced blame on the politicians (not that I am their buddy by any means), from the public, the media and elsewhere. The people spoke..............

"Go ahead Utahns, keep voting for these same crooks not listening to you and screwing you".

While thankful for folks like you in Utah, Oneye, the majority of Utahn's apparently want what "these...crooks" have to offer. As I just responded to RobG in the MT Leg. HJ 9 thread, these people got voted in by the majority of voters in their respective districts and states.
Seems to be a lot of misplaced blame on the politicians (not that I am their buddy by any means), from the public, the media and elsewhere. The people spoke..............

I think a lot of people vote largely on party lines, largely because they don't get involved enough to know what's going on, and vote for them based on other principals besides the outdoor issues. Many of these career polticians give lip service to constituents and once you peel back the layers (which many aren't willing to take the time to do) they are lying polticians screwing you over. Utah just lost a ton of money, especially if OI had intent to expand their shows from 2 to 5 and bring the bike show.

I think a lot of people vote largely on party lines, largely because they don't get involved enough to know what's going on, and vote for them based on other principals besides the outdoor issues. Many of these career polticians give lip service to constituents and once you peel back the layers (which many aren't willing to take the time to do) they are lying polticians screwing you over. Utah just lost a ton of money, especially if OI had intent to expand their shows from 2 to 5 and bring the bike show.

Yup, yup, and yup.
Elections have consequences.
And interesting how the accusations like "ahh, he's a one issue voter" comes back around to bite in the ass. Suddenly PLT (one tiny issue) seems to tied to the economy, Hmm....
Simple thinking and short-sightedness ain't gonna pay off in the long run. Look where the Democratic Party is today.
Unless you're say, the Koch Bros. (who are currently in an interesting dilemma...), who know the importance of sheep herding.....

Last edited:
Yes, the point I've been making for ever. I didn't vote for any of the PLT crowd currently in office so I can bitch, if I had and regretted it you can be damn sure I would make the same mistake twice.

Gee onpoint - I don't support everything my candidates stood for yet I had to make a choice. When they do something we disagree with we have to let them know, not roll over and say oh well that it is what the people want.

Gee onpoint - I don't support everything my candidates stood for yet I had to make a choice. When they do something we disagree with we have to let them know, not roll over and say oh well that it is what the people want.

We're mostly on the same page dude... maybe just a slight misunderstanding of the conversation. What was that about urine in one's breakfast cereal??:rolleyes:

Don't you think comparing a group of industry leaders to conservation organizations is a bit like comparing apples to oranges?

Good question. My point is; OIA in partnership with Outdoor Retailer should walk the walk with public lands and conservation. Find projects and issues to get behind that promote public access and protection of public lands. Maybe they can offer to supply lawyers and cash to support RobG on the issue he is currently fighting.

https://outdoorindustry.org/advocacy/

Happy to chase some of the individual member groups & their commitment to conservation if you want it. Lots of dollars going out from members to groups you listed, as well as OIA's own advocacy shop.

Remind me again how much money the state of Utah has given to Peay, Ivory & Benson to fight agsinst us?

Pulling out and finding somewhere else to drop that load of cash is putting their money where their money where their mouths are.
I'm glad you are proud of your politicians. Enjoy!

Below is a link to the entire, 700 plus page report on transfer of lands to the state of Utah--it's on the right side of the page to open. It is well written and documented and is clear about the necessity of high oil and gas prices plus their (perpetual?) royalties to make the change feasible. Judge that for yourself.

And once again, transferring the land would do precious little to assist the rural economies of Utah. There simply isn't enough resource there and jobs don't predominantly go to locals.

And in answer to Ben above, Utah is estimated to lose $1 billion over the next six years without Outdoor Retailers and another much smaller brother of Outdoor Retailers. It is absolutely heartbreaking to lose this money for my state when it was unnecessary. There is no excuse. Politics that is fruitless for the people it is purported to assist and damaging to the entire state economy.

http://archive.unews.utah.edu/news_...of-transferring-federal-public-land-to-state/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back