Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tikka shooters opinions on stocks.

rmauch20

Just wanting to hear some opinions about the Tikka synthetic stocks. Are they on par with Savage, Remington synthetics or better. I'm looking at Tikka website and it list the weight difference at around a half to three quarter of a pound for the synthetic to laminate stocks. Trying to decide between the two.

Last edited:
My T3 still wears a factory stock and I have had no issues with it. Im not familiar with the Savage, but I would guess it is a little more solid than the standard Remington synthetic stock. If the stock is your main concern, there are some aftermarket replacements. The only modifications to mine have been a limbsaver pad, paint, and free floating the barrel. I probably would have done those things to any stock though. Mine is a real shooter.

I am looking at the T3x laminate which looks good just didn't know if it made it on the heavy side. No one has either in store in my area. I wouldn't think 1/2-3/4pound would make that much difference but I know sometimes gun manufacturers seem to round down on weights. Just looking at pics of the synthetics stocks they appear to be better built the others. Just hard to tell without putting hands on one.
There is a decent jump in price on the laminate but it looks good.

While they are not any better looking than the other synthetic stocks the Tikka synthetic holds up well to brush and mountain hunting. I bought my first Tikka T3 light in 270WSM many years ago and have used the heck out of it. Liked it so much I bought another in .243 and use it as my coyote gun. The 270WSM still shoots under 1' 200yrd groups and the .243 shoots under 3/4" groups at 200" ( both off bench with lead sled) and factory ammo. I would buy another if I ever need a gun.

As above I'm also very happy Tikka owner. I've purchased 3 over the years and no complains. Light, accurate, affordable and proven in the field.

I own 2 Tikka's. Love Em and never had a problem. The stock is nothing fancy and would not win a beauty contest but they hold up well against moisture, brush and anything else the colorado elements can throw at it.

The only negative experience I have had with the synthetic stock is when I put a recoil pad on it (in anticipation of further reducing the recoil for my young sons). When I put the recoil pad on, I stripped out the screw hole and I did not turn it "that hard". I ended up going to the hardware store and bought a larger diameter screw and was very cautious when tightening it. Screwing a metal screw into a plastic screw hole is a little "iffy".

The Tikka stock, while not aesthetically any better than the others, is definitely stiffer and nicer than the stocks on the package Savages. I don't use a bipod with mine, however I don't think they would have a problem if I wanted to.

I've had a couple now. The old T3 lite stock has a nice feel to me, ergonomics are OK. Adding the vertical grip to the T3x made the ergonomics fantastic to me for both prone and other field positions, although it's not quite as stiff. I did not bed, and did have some minor zero shift with the T3x in .308 with hard use. The scope set-up was proven.
Better than Remington tupperware stocks, absolutely. Can't speak to Savage.

I bought a tikka T3x a few months ago. I haven't shot it much and have yet to hunt with it, but so far I really like the stock. Never been a huge fan of synthetic stocks in general, but I find it to be on par with my wife's Remington 700 SPS, and better than her Savage Axis. Systh stocks have often felt sorta like airsoft guns to me, but the tikka is very stiff and has some sort of filling to keep the noise down if you knock it against a rock or something. The recoil pad is adequate. I understand that was a big upgrade from the T3 to the T3x. I have no thoughts of replacing the stock except I might change out the pistol grip for a vertical. So far I've been pretty impressed with my Tikka in every regard.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to save a little coin and weight and go with the synthetic stock over the laminate.

marlin 1895 t3 338 004.jpg

Of the injection molded plastic stocks out there I think Tikka's is one of the best. Having said that I went with a Bell & Carlson about 4 years ago and it has been great.

Do you know what about your tikka weighs now with the Bell and Carlson stock. That's a good looking rifle also. I just don't want to end up with a 10 1/2 pound gun again. If Tikka's numbers are correct with the synthetic stock the rifle weighs 5.9 pounds and with the laminate stock it weighs 6.6. With scope weight added I would be looking at 6.93 or 7.63. So really I'm only looking about a difference of 3/4's of a pound.
I know I should just pick one and go with it, but I tend to geek out, over analyze, and obsess on some of the stuff.

Do you know what about your tikka weighs now with the Bell and Carlson stock. That's a good looking rifle also. I just don't want to end up with a 10 1/2 pound gun again. If Tikka's numbers are correct with the synthetic stock the rifle weighs 5.9 pounds and with the laminate stock it weighs 6.6. With scope weight added I would be looking at 6.93 or 7.63. So really I'm only looking about a difference of 3/4's of a pound.
I know I should just pick one and go with it, but I tend to geek out, over analyze, and obsess on some of the stuff.

I like the weight of the tikka t3x. The Kimbers are nice, and I like controlled feed, but man they are really light.

If I was a hardcore prone shooter I would consider a vertical grip. I probably wouldn't get the laminate because, IMO, you would be giving up the financial flexibility to change the stock in the future. And I don't think the laminate gives you any significant advantage.

I actually find the vertical grip just fine for offhand, seated with sticks, or whatever. Depends on what you're used to somewhat I guess. Mine are in EH-T's, but not because of the grip.

Anyone using the modular vertical grip that's offered for the T3x? I wonder how well it works since it's a pretty cheap modification.

I actually find the vertical grip just fine for offhand, seated with sticks, or whatever. Depends on what you're used to somewhat I guess. Mine are in EH-T's, but not because of the grip.
Yes, I like it a lot. No brainer for $25 if you like a vertical grip.

I have weighed it and it's not bad at all but don't remember exactly. I will do it again tonight and post it. Mine is a 338 win mag bty.

8lbs 2 oz.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back