Caribou Gear Tarp

New here

Electraman

Been Lurking in the shadows for a while now and finally decided to post. I want to start by thanking Finn for a great site, I find myself spending all my free time on here. I've gotten almost all the way through the deer in no time and the back in the day is fascinating, I can stare at the old pictures all day. There is a lot of great information and a lot of characters that make it hard to put it down
Finn- I commend you for an entertaining site and show.
Dink- You flipping crack me up.
Mt Gomer- I'm living vicariously thru you.
Brks Rnr- Your work speaks for itself.
John- Thank you for your service SIR.
Buzz- You seem to always get it done.
Oak- Enjoy your insight, wish I was half as articulate as you.

And so many more, I could go on and on.

I am hoping someone might be able to help me with a decision. My dad and I have 16 points for Utah deer and have been trying to draw the Bookcliffs in what seems like forever, if I'd known it was going to take this long I would have never started this ride. These states dealing out points are like drug dealers, once they got you, YOU'RE HOOKED. My question is are the Bookcliffs North that much better than the South. A recent publication showed some stats, there was only a 6% chance of drawing the North with 14 points last year. We are ready to burn them, my pops is getting up there and we want to hunt Utah instead of just driving through it every year.

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You Finn and everyone for a great place to go. It's almost as good as being out there.

Electraman

Welcome. Fine intro. I wish I knew something about the Book Cliffs, but I don't.

Stats I see show that with 16 points, you had 100% chance of Book Cliffs North for limited entry deer in 2016. How that will work in 2017, is hard to predict. Last year, with the 15 points had, you would have also had 100% chance of drawing North or South.

Don't tell Dink he's funny. It will go to his head.

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about the UT Bookcliffs, but if they are similar to the CO side, the topography and habitat is much different between north and south and deer densities are lower on the south.

I lived in Vernal for several years and scouted the Book Cliffs for the hell of it a few times. Early season is great for deer in the North. A guy I know who has hunted deer and elk there said as winter sets in the deer migrate south. Though there is still some great deer North, the majority of the really big stuff heads south. That being said, I've seen some true wall hangers just past the White River in late October. The North is definitely easier to hunt. More open and more roads and trails. The south is absolutely better for elk and bison. My old boss did a horseback ride into the south to help DNR count bison and he has pictures of two 400" bulls. I also saw a set of sheds that came out of the south that were over 350" and were 5x5! Basin sports is a great place to get info about the deer in there. It's right across the street from the Ford dealer in Vernal if you don't know about it already. My best advice to you, whether you hunt North or South is purchase the best optics you can afford. Im not sure I've ever seen a place where you need them more.

I am trying to get some information on hunting the South end of Book Cliffs going into the Roadless area through Sego Canyon. We intend to back pack in for the spike bull hunt October 7th. My buddy hunted there several times with his dad on horseback but the problem is his dad just recently passed away unexpectedly
and he was the brains behind our trip. My buddy can't be sure where they used to hunt and even looking at google earth and maps he can't be sure. He thinks they took the BLM road 160 north of Hells Hole to the Sego Canyon trail head. They followed the trail East until it drops down into the canyon floor way south of Bogart Canyon. From there he thinks they went East a total of 5+ miles (10 miles from the trail head).

Does anyone know that area and could give me some detailed information. My buddy is more confident we can wing it but I'm not willing to take the chance. Does the "three springs" area mean anything to anyone???

Appreciate the intel.

I would appreciate any feedback and confirmation as to water sources and hunting areas. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back