Happy Day! Just Moved to Nevada!

muliefever

Good Afternoon my fellow outdoorsman!
I just moved to the Elko, NV area and can't wait to get out and start learning about my new hunting canvas. Moving from Oregon to Nevada is an exciting change and I look forward to hunting here! Any fellow NV folks here?
Happy Hunting,

Lots of NV folks on this forum. Congrats on the move. One of my favorite states to hunt.

Thank you. I am looking forward to getting after it. I have spent the last few weeks breaking down the state using the recommended goHunt insider(amazing by the way) and can see some amazing hunts in my future!

Better try the Star Hotel for dinner! Best halibut in the state. Get there early and enjoy! Try a pecan drink.

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you check out the Basque festival this summer over the July 4th weekend.
That is some awesome country you've got there just a few minutes away.

Last edited:
Being Basque myself, I have already been to the Star and will attend the Basque festival for sure! Thanks!

This fall, head up to the tip top of the Rubies and try to find a snowcock to shoot. Crazy cool bird that's akin to a chicken sized chukar. Good luck figuring out the new country.

Eskaldunok! ;) I realize I probably misspelled it and it's the only Basque word I know off hand. ;)

Congratulations on the move. That's a beautiful corner of the world for sure.

This fall, head up to the tip top of the Rubies and try to find a snowcock to shoot. Crazy cool bird that's akin to a chicken sized chukar. Good luck figuring out the new country.

Eskaldunok! ;) I realize I probably misspelled it and it's the only Basque word I know off hand. ;)

If you can't find a snowcock there are tons of chukars all over.

Better try the Star Hotel for dinner! Best halibut in the state. Get there early and enjoy! Try a pecan drink.

There are no "pecan"s in the drink.

It is called "Picon", and it is called Picon Punch.

One is very good.

The second one was quite tasty....

I do not remember how the third one was....

And, the Lamb Chops are my favorite there. Always seems like the Lamb is a bit more local than the Halibut....

Also, for a bit cheaper Basque experience, Toki Ona on Idaho Street is a pretty good substitute if you don't want to wait at the Star.

There are no "pecan"s in the drink.

It is called "Picon", and it is called Picon Punch.

One is very good.

The second one was quite tasty....

I do not remember how the third one was....

And, the Lamb Chops are my favorite there. Always seems like the Lamb is a bit more local than the Halibut....

Also, for a bit cheaper Basque experience, Toki Ona on Idaho Street is a pretty good substitute if you don't want to wait at the Star.
I was wondering who'd correct the spelling and provide the PSA as to the sneakiness of picon punch. :D

Congrats on the new place , I've been pondering getting out of Oregon as well, working for the Post Office , i can transfer to anywhere just about and don't have to find a new job , Montana is whats been on my heart

I was wondering who'd correct the spelling and provide the PSA as to the sneakiness of picon punch. :D

Had one at the Hotel Santa Fe in Reno last week. Good, and the food was good, but not quite Star level.

Top Ranked Basque joints....
1. Star - Elko
2. Hotel Martin -- Winnemucca
3. Toki Ona -- Elko
4. Santa Fe - Reno​

Still need to get to JT Bar and Restaurant in Gardnerville.

NV has some beautiful federally managed public lands congrats.
Best of luck in the draws. You don't happen to have a stash of NV points? Definitely research nonresident to res transfer you just might be sitting pretty.

elkmagnet,
Thanks for the post, and as a matter of fact I do! I have a great stash of points for Oregon that I will be transferring, plus two non res points for NV. I should be sitting pretty damn good next year!:)

You ever fish the river coming into the reservoir?

We haven't, that part of the river has a 1 trout limit and is liited to artificial lures with a single barbless hook.
We have fished below the dam and the fishing can be quite good and has a 5 trout limit and can be fished with bait. We like to float grasshoppers into the pools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back