Garmin Etrex 20x or 30x

Tikka06

Im in need of a basic gps and have nearly decided on a Garmin etrex 20x or 30x. I understand that there are more feature rich units out there but the reality is I really won't be using it all that much. Just marking stand locations and finding my way around some of our public WMA's here in Tn. But I also want it to be capable of using OnXmaps if the need be on my next western trip. Anybody have either of these units or a recomendation of another?

I believe the only difference between the 20 and 30 is the latter has a digital compass. I have a regular 20 and it's been a great little unit. I don't really do any intense use with mine, mostly just marking waypoints and orienting myself as needed. One accessory I would recommend is the carabiner clip. I keep mine clipped to my shoulder harness.

My 20 does all I need. I keep a lensatic compass anyway, I find it to be easier to follow once the gps gives me a bearing.

All I use is a 20. I got rid of my Oregon 450 because I hated the touch screen. So, I live with a little bit of a smaller screen, but know that it will work when I want it to. It's basic, but does the job and still takes a chip.

Thanks for the responses. Im pretty sure I will pick one up soon as well as the OnXmaps chip for Tn. I like the idea of keeping it simple, and I always keep a compass in my pocket and map in my bag anyway.

I have a brand new in the box Garmin Etrex 20 I'm looking to get rid of. $105 shipped using PayPal.

Back