Gearing up for The Bob

macnshana

As I've posted on here early this year, my friends and I will be hunting the Bob this year. I'm going through my gear list and wondering what I forgot. We will be heading in via horseback so weight plays a role. I've covered all the obvious bases like tent, saw, bedroll, cooking supplies and even baby wipes. (Don't judge. I like a clean rear end when camping.) If anyone has anything they wish to add I'd be grateful. Spending 10-14 days in the true back country makes me not want to forget something important. Thanks for everyone's help. Mac

we lived on baby wipes in Iraq. No shower for 93 days. Baby wipes saved our you know what.

Since you've got horses to carry it, a collapsible chair like a Crazy Creek is disproportionately nice to have in my opinion.

We went to the Bob in 2003 and had a blast. I suggest sun screen! My cousin sat over a wallow, fell asleep and got sun burned and wind burned! his face was like a tomato.

We went to the Bob in 2003 and had a blast. I suggest sun screen! My cousin sat over a wallow, fell asleep and got sun burned and wind burned! his face was like a tomato.

In this same vein, chapstick is super nice to have. Can also be used to grease/lubricate in a pinch.

In this same vein, chapstick is super nice to have. Can also be used to grease/lubricate in a pinch.
That's a good idea. I may throw an extra tube in the pack. I always keep some chap stick and sunscreen in my pack but an extra tube wouldn't hurt. I had a friend who said he also used it to start a fire in emergencies.

Did a diy horse back trip in there last year. I'll give u a run down of what missed and what was invaluable:
Spare tarps & 550 cord; we had 3 days of rain/fog so the tarps were for covering saddles and shelter by the fire.
Double check your meals, somehow we were a day short, had plent of snacks tho.
Phone charger (mophie) or similar, you can get service on the peaks of some mountains and onyxmaps of the area is incredibly useful.
Spend sometime on google earth, the Bob is steep and heavily treed, plan out your glassing ahead of time.
Make sure your horses are in Mtn shape, we had to leave a day early b/c of a weak hay burner.
Get everyone in your group comfortable handling horses ahead of time, it's not a place for OJT.
Bear tag, you may not see elk/deer/wolves but you will see a few bear.
I'll post more as I think of it.

Did a diy horse back trip in there last year. I'll give u a run down of what missed and what was invaluable:
Spare tarps & 550 cord; we had 3 days of rain/fog so the tarps were for covering saddles and shelter by the fire.
Double check your meals, somehow we were a day short, had plent of snacks tho.
Phone charger (mophie) or similar, you can get service on the peaks of some mountains and onyxmaps of the area is incredibly useful.
Spend sometime on google earth, the Bob is steep and heavily treed, plan out your glassing ahead of time.
Make sure your horses are in Mtn shape, we had to leave a day early b/c of a weak hay burner.
Get everyone in your group comfortable handling horses ahead of time, it's not a place for OJT.
Bear tag, you may not see elk/deer/wolves but you will see a few bear.
I'll post more as I think of it.

Thanks LVElk. I was able to get hold of a detailed map from National Geographic as well as a book recommended by someone on here. I have OnX and look at google earth regularly. My father in law is going to be camp chef so he will be in charge of food. He's been a hunting camp chef for several years in many states so I'm trusting him to bring enough. Your advice about conditioning the horses is invaluable. We will be purchasing more horses and as well as using some of the ones we have. Snows are melting fast here in the Root so we will be starting to work them soon. All in all I believe it will be a great adventure. We will be going in with Elk, Deer, Wolf and Bear tags.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back