If you could get any Savage rifle

Not really interested in any dangerous game guns at this point in time.

I did take a quick look at the MSR-10 but I think I'm going to end up getting a Mega Maten set and build my own AR10 the way I want it.

Didn't really give the shotguns much of a look. I'll have to go back through then again. I have an old mossy 500, but find myself spending all of my limited free time these days chasing bigger critters so not sure a scatter gun would get much use.
The Savage 555 is a good looking O/U if you are interested in that sort of thing. If you are absolutely stuck on getting a rifle I'd get Predator Hunter (you pick the stock color) in 223 Rem. You really have most all big game more than covered with your current rifles and the 223 with a 9" twist will allow you to use some big game bullets if you get the itch.

That said, with the rifles you have I'd pocket the money for a new rifle and use it towards a hunt...

Does the custome shop still make the 10ml II? If so get one so you can shoot smokeless powder. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Less maintenance and hgher velocities. I think I clean mine every other year or so. Check game laws maybe its not legal where you are. You have to shoot magnum sabot loads. Full bore conicals won't seal up right.

Yup sounds to me like you need a heavy barreled varmint/target gun. I'm partial to the model 12. Anything in 204, 22-250, 6.5x284, 6.5 creedmoor. I'd probably go with a 22-250 personally just for popularity and price of ammo if you're not a reloader.

Does the custome shop still make the 10ml II? If so get one so you can shoot smokeless powder. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Less maintenance and hgher velocities. I think I clean mine every other year or so. Check game laws maybe its not legal where you are. You have to shoot magnum sabot loads. Full bore conicals won't seal up right.

If that was an option I wouldn't have ever started this thread. I'd really like to get my hands on one of those things.

Anyway, I don't really know why but I ended up ordering the 110 BA in .338 Lapua. Maybe cuz FTW like Quackillr says....

If that was an option I wouldn't have ever started this thread. I'd really like to get my hands on one of those things.

Anyway, I don't really know why but I ended up ordering the 110 BA in .338 Lapua. Maybe cuz FTW like Quackillr says....

Gunbroker occasionally has them used for descent prices. Also smokeless muzzleloading inc. makes barrels for handi rifles and also encores. I got a barrel for my son and its super accurate.

Gunbroker occasionally has them used for descent prices. Also smokeless muzzleloading inc. makes barrels for handi rifles and also encores. I got a barrel for my son and its super accurate.

Good to know. Thanks for the info sir.

Isn't factory ammo well north of $100.00 a box for .338 Lapua?

Depends on what you want. Plenty of it below 100 bucks. Great reason to get into handloading. mtmuley

Savage model 16/116 bear hunter in .338 WM. Also a .22-250 is a must in my book. The overall performance compared to .204 and .223 especially in windy western situations is night and day.

I've been pouring through the catalog and fondling rifles at various shops for two weeks...
Can anyone (a couple have mentioned owning) tell me about their experiences with the 16/116 or 11/111 LWH?

I've been pouring through the catalog and fondling rifles at various shops for two weeks...
Can anyone (a couple have mentioned owning) tell me about their experiences with the 16/116 or 11/111 LWH?

The 16/116 bear hunter is a great rifle. Pricey though. I paid just under a grand for mine in .300 WM. But its a rugged rifle. Well made. The quality seems to surpass most of savages cheaper stuff by quite a bit. The adjustable muzzle break is pretty nice. I close it when hunting but when im messing around at the range and have good hearing protection I open it and the reduction of recoil is noticeable. One down side is the weight. I'm over 10lbs with scope. Not unbearable. But with the extreme lite rifles made today, its heavy. All in all im very happy with it.

SMI is 25mins up the road from me. I'm strongly considering buying a barrel from them for our Handi-Rifle. Just need the $$...

Model 99 in 250 or 300 Savage!!! My grandmother turned 87 on the 13th n is still knocking em down w her 300!!!!

Back