Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado GMU 71

kbhillhunter

Anyone have experience hunting in GMU 71? A friend and I are targeting it for 1st rifle season. It looks like it gets hammered during archery season, so wondering how that impacts animal movements come gun season. I am interested in focusing on the Lizard Head Wilderness area specifically as well. The tag is also good in unit 711 which seems like it might be a productive winter unit (judging by the Colorado Hunting Atlas).

My friend and I are both from the east, in pretty good shape, and plan to hike / camp weather pending. Our western experience is limited and our scouting is also limited to desktop so any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Hunted the lizard head last season for second rifle. First time we hunted there. It was very warm so not a typical year. Out of 4 of us only two saw elk and no shot opportunity. Talked to a several old timers that have hunted there for 10+ years. Most said the unit has been going down hill and they weren't going back. I'm sure first season would be better. Saw lots of sign so the elk were there at least at the start of archery.

I am interested in this post as well. A buddy and me will be hunting unit 71 this year. We went for first rifle but if don't draw that we will be doing 2nd. Andy advise would be a great help. First time western hunters as well.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back