Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Birthday ideas

esracerx

So my dad's birthday will be in a few weeks. He's a tough SOB to get something for because he can have pretty much whatever he wants. I'm open to ideas. But, I was thinking something to help him learn to use calls. We've been elk hunting far too long for him to really not know how to call. He's got that hoochie down. He can use the cow girl kinda. To me that sounds like a kazoo or a coyote type call. Tried to get him to use Carltons and diaphragm calls but he gets frustrated and gives up, or his self diagnosed ADD kicks in, or just flat out procrastinates.

What usually happens is he'll start playing with em while we're packing to go. Then he'll pop in a cd on the ride out west, convinced he'll get it down. Which eventually will give you a headache, listening cow calls for an hour. So i get stuck calling, which I don't mind but when you're hunting with 2 guys both need to at least know the basics. Especially after 7 seasons.

I don't know. Maybe I need to put more faith in the hoochie. Any of you kind folk have any ideas? Appreciate you making it to the end of that. Doesn't need to be a call system. I'm open to suggestions

Benchmade mini-Barrage knife. One heck of a nice locking pocket knife. Get his name engraved on the blade for a few dollars more. Take it to a trophy shop and they can engrave it for you.

So my dad's birthday will be in a few weeks. He's a tough SOB to get something for because he can have pretty much whatever he wants. I'm open to ideas.
He's got that hoochie down.
I'm open to suggestions

Best suggestion I can give you is realize that "tough SOB" isn't going to change, let him use his hoochie and go have a good time. I'd give you every penny in my retirement account if I could just have one more hunt with my "tough SOB".

Don't get me wrong. We always have a good time. Just think he'd enjoy it more if I could get him to learn some other calls.

When I say that I don't mean it to come off as he's stubborn. He's just tough to get something for. He's got pretty much everything and if he doesn't he has the means to get it if he wanted it.

He's just tough to get something for. He's got pretty much everything and if he doesn't he has the means to get it if he wanted it.

Sounds like you are on the right track avoiding getting him a "thing" and concentrating on a memory, an experience, or as you suggest, a skill enhancement.

Is there a call maker in your/dad's area that you could visit to see how a call is made, and get a lesson on use from the maker?

What about turkey calls? A slate or box call are pretty easy to learn if he doesn't like diaphragms. A lot of times fall turkey overlaps elk season.

Best suggestion I can give you is realize that "tough SOB" isn't going to change, let him use his hoochie and go have a good time. I'd give you every penny in my retirement account if I could just have one more hunt with my "tough SOB".

Listen to this. I used to have your attitude when my dad and I used to play golf. He was terrible and I wanted to help him get better. He didn't want to work at it and didn't really care if he got better. We would get on each other's nerves when we played. He only played to be around me. Wish I would have just enjoyed more of our time together. I was young and dumb. He is gone now. Just enjoy time with pops and let him be him. You will both be better for it

Take your Dad for a weekend trip to somewhere or to an activity that you both enjoy. I lost my Dad a year ago last week and some of his best recent memories, according to my Mom, occured on our annual salmon fishing trips to Canada and Washington State. She recently said that the fact that I made all the arrangements and spent the time pulling my boat over to the coast meant the world to him. By the way, those memories and the photos I have of those trips mean the world to me as well.
IMG_0823.jpg

Take your Dad for a weekend trip to somewhere or to an activity that you both enjoy. I lost my Dad a year ago last week and some of his best recent memories, according to my Mom, occured on our annual salmon fishing trips to Canada and Washington State. She recently said that the fact that I made all the arrangements and spent the time pulling my boat over to the coast meant the world to him. By the way, those memories and the photos I have of those trips mean the world to me as well.
View attachment 68121
Multiple times this!! Do something with him and don't worry about more stuff!!

Every fall Basspro and /or Cabelas has calling seminars all over the country. Many of the Sportsman's Shows will also have calling seminars. Send him to one of those with a gift certificate. Once upon a time you could go into the Sidney, NE Cabelas and the guys behind the counter could demonstrate the calls they sold quite well.

My Dad is sort of the same kind in that he has whatever he wants and/or has the means to get it. He hunts deer but really isn't much of a hunter or fisherman. He and my step-mother like to take small trips and long weekend getaways several times a year so we have taken to buying them gift certificates for hotels and bed & breakfast places generally near golf courses or other activities that they like.

Back