Drop Camp Outfitters

Huntforadventure

Hello All,

I am thinking about using a drop camp service this year for hunting elk in CO. Has anyone had any experience with "Western Sky Outfitters"? Or is there a group that you have used and recommend?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I've had good experience with Landsend Outfitters near Crawford, Colorado has some nice drop camp options. Reasonably priced too. Wilderness areas only. GMU 053

I have never used an outfitter, so this info is second hand and probably not true across the board. But I've been told that going with a drop camp option can be risky, as most outfitters tend to put their drop camp hunters in sub-prime areas and save the most productive spots for their guided hunters. There are probably plenty of really good drop camp hunts out there but you'd be well advised to do some homework on them.

IMO, a Drop Camp can be a mixed bag. (both bad and good sometimes)
Positive aspects: Probably packed in far away from other hunters on foot. Big tent, and the outfitter had to pack all your gear in, and your Elk and gear back out.
Negative aspects: Costs $$$$$, You're pretty much committed to a single area around the drop amp location to hunt, so if the game isn't around, you might be disappointed. You have to understand that if you're a 2nd season rifle hunter, or similar, that camp may have had a bunch of hunters in it for a number of prior seasons. You'll have little idea of their success, or if they spooked all the game away?

I'd be checking past references of the Outfitter by hunters that opted for his drop camps.

I interviewed a couple this year and the success rates were low compared to their guided hunters. One even had a 0% in all of his drop camps for the year. Make sure you check references.

DITTO, agree with windymtnman! Did it in 2014.
IMO, a Drop Camp can be a mixed bag. (both bad and good sometimes)
Positive aspects: Probably packed in far away from other hunters on foot. Big tent, and the outfitter had to pack all your gear in, and your Elk and gear back out.
Negative aspects: Costs $$$$$, You're pretty much committed to a single area around the drop amp location to hunt, so if the game isn't around, you might be disappointed. You have to understand that if you're a 2nd season rifle hunter, or similar, that camp may have had a bunch of hunters in it for a number of prior seasons. You'll have little idea of their success, or if they spooked all the game away?

I'd be checking past references of the Outfitter by hunters that opted for his drop camps.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back