"Truck Dump" video - How I rig my hunting rig

Only thing I would add that I carry in my F150 (which is always ready to go depending on the season):
-Gazeteer
-Extra orange vest (some guy forgets, or mark something in emergency)
-MRES (cuz you never know)
-Cliff bars
-large survival kit and first aid (different from the one that goes in my pack)
-Wool blanket (old army issue)

Only thing I would add that I carry in my F150 (which is always ready to go depending on the season):
-Gazeteer
-Extra orange vest (some guy forgets, or mark something in emergency)
-MRES (cuz you never know)
-Cliff bars
-large survival kit and first aid (different from the one that goes in my pack)
-Wool blanket (old army issue)

A lot of that is carried in my backpack, which is always in the truck. I have received a lot of suggestions about similar things and now I wish I would have explained what I keep in my pack and how the pack is always in the truck.

I usually carry some WD 40 in my truck. Helps with trailer hitches, gates, tailgates, etc...

A lot of that is carried in my backpack, which is always in the truck. I have received a lot of suggestions about similar things and now I wish I would have explained what I keep in my pack and how the pack is always in the truck.

Dump it altogether and let's compare. I always want to see what other's have that i didn't think of

Great informative video about something that gets over looked. I took my first elk trip in Colorado last year, solo. I took time and put a big emphasis on emergency truck gear for the back roads. Being stuck, sucks!

One thing that really saved my butt was bringing a few 2x10" boards and a full size jack. The boards helped keep the jack stable and double as a ramp over a tough spot in the road.

I did some maintenance to my 2004 Bigtow Titan before I left. Oil change, air filter, diff and trans fluid check, Radiator flush, installed ball joints and tie rods(needed to be changed.) Those jeep trails ended up doing a toll on the ball joints and tie rod ends. I ended up replacing all of them a week ago. Firm believer of preventative maintenance.

Have you heard up UPREV for your titan Randy? Its a custom tuning system not like a cheap plug and play. They can customize AF ratios that help for towing and increasing MPG. I had mine installed after I put on a set of aftermarket headers, cats and JBA exhaust. There's a guy that runs Cajunbpipes.com that is very well known for the titan community.
20160916_105244.jpg

Highly recommend a hide a key.

If your rig has a chipped key, you may need to keep a non chipped key in the box hidden outside of the vehicle in order to simply access the vehicle. Chipped key hidden in a velcro pouch sticky hide a key inside the vehicle someplace in order to keep the chipped key out of the elements.

I do this. Has saved me more then once. I will add if you never use the key day to day might want to lube your locks every once in a while. Last time I needed to use the hide a key it felt like it was going to break in the stiff lock.

Yeah, that's great Randy, now can you tell me where a Brit, who has traveled half way around the globe to Montana can rent a truck, and not attract comments like someone did when we rocked up at their house in Bozeman in our rental and the guy said 'you ain't taking that thing Elk hunting are you?!'
Sound familiar?!
(in fairness the 'guy' did offer the loan of his truck, but he needed it for filming something)
Cheers
Richard

I always have two of these behind the back seats of my crew cab F250. These serve two purposes:

1. If I need to jack up the truck to change a flat on soft ground, they serve as a jack stabilizer.
2. If I need to chain up, I lay the chains across so one v bar is laying in the "ditch", then drive on up, wrap the chains up to the top and tighten. So much easier than any other way I have tried.

I always have two of these behind the back seats of my crew cab F250. These serve two purposes:

1. If I need to jack up the truck to change a flat on soft ground, they serve as a jack stabilizer.
2. If I need to chain up, I lay the chains across so one v bar is laying in the "ditch", then drive on up, wrap the chains up to the top and tighten. So much easier than any other way I have tried.

good one.

A couple items you didn't mention that I always carry (that probably aren't in you bag). I handful of plastic grocery sacks for picking up garbage, flares (3), 10x10' tarp, and a copy of the Emergency Response Guidebook.

Being late to the thread makes it pretty slim pickin's for additional gear but how about racheting tie downs? I use mine all the time. Just don't get those you pull to make them tight, get the ones that rachet and you can make thing really tight! Great thread.

I always carry a couple extra quarts of oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid(if needed) anti-freeze, and an extra fanbelt along with some basic hand tools as well.
great video Randy, keep it up!

Randy, there is a truck bed storage system I've been looking into called Decked, not sure if they make one for your truck but it could be up your alley. I think they're based in Idaho. I had a topper broken into on my last truck and was looking for some way to get secure storage in my bed for long guns while still maintaining the full footprint.

Randy, there is a truck bed storage system I've been looking into called Decked, not sure if they make one for your truck but it could be up your alley. I think they're based in Idaho. I had a topper broken into on my last truck and was looking for some way to get secure storage in my bed for long guns while still maintaining the full footprint.

I've been approached by companies with truck bed organizers. I thanked them for interest and explained these organizers would cost me too much space.

One thing I did not show is that when we head out, the topper it stacked from bed to lid with coolers and other gear. Just a function of how loaded down this truck is when we head out. There is no extra space for anything, even with a trailer tagging along behind.

I've been approached by companies with truck bed organizers. I thanked them for interest and explained these organizers would cost me too much space.

One thing I did not show is that when we head out, the topper it stacked from bed to lid with coolers and other gear. Just a function of how loaded down this truck is when we head out. There is no extra space for anything, even with a trailer tagging along behind.
THIS I have seen! I think he left nesting space for his photographer/porter....and DQ cups.

Great video. I have one of those ARE toppers. The back window of mine was glass. I was going camping and fishing down a logging road in a state forest last summer when somehow a rock must have been kicked up by the boat trailer and shattered the glass window. Pain in the butt as there was glass everywhere in the bed where I had all my gear. Had a piece of fiberglass cut to fit into the topper window and it has held up for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back