"Truck Dump" video - How I rig my hunting rig

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I get a ton of questions about how we rig the hunting truck we use, in this case, a 2015 Nissan Titan. Most trucks are set up based on how that person uses it. Yeah, in some instances it's about fashion and being cool, something I don't have the time, luxury, or money to worry about. But for most guys, trucks are tools and need to be set up as an effective tool. That's what I've tried to show here.

You see my trucks are pretty basic. I don't go with leather, I don't do the big lift kits or big tires, and they aren't souped up with some aftermarket performance job. I want what I need and what works, nothing less, and nothing more, as more just means one more piece to maintain or could fail.

I give no pardon to my trucks. I beat the living crap out of them. I have high expectations that they will perform and not break down. My dad said to never buy a used truck from a logger. Montanans are warned to not by a used truck from a rancher. Advisory here - Do not buy a used truck from me.

None of this is rocket science. None of it is the gospel. It is just what I've settled on over 20 years and a few hundred thousand miles of traveling the western states to do these self-guided public land hunts.

[video=youtube_share;vty2aKntj5w]https://youtu.be/vty2aKntj5w[/video]

Without making this some Chevy v. Ford v. Toyota v. Doge v. Nissan discussion, I am interested in what you've done to your truck or what you carry in your truck, and what situation that modification/equipment is used for.

One thing I learned to keep in the truck is a portable set of boot driers made by peet. I don't think they make it with a 12 volt plug in but I know most of the new trucks have a 110 plug now.

What are the specs on that phone booster?

My truck is a bone stock 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road with 10 ply Yokohama Geolanders. Like you my truck sees a lot of highway miles. Since Tacomas have gotten bigger but their boxes have gotten smaller, I will probably go back to a full sized truck soon because I can barely get my ice fishing shelter in the back.

Last edited:
Yeah, in some instances it's about fashion and being cool, something I don't have the time, luxury, or money to worry about.

Pretty sure that having a nice paint job on your trucks has fallen into one of the categories that you don't have time to deal with, based on the number of scratches and scrapes that these Titans wind up with.

Pretty sure that having a nice paint job on your trucks has fallen into one of the categories that you don't have time to deal with, based on the number of scratches and scrapes that these Titans wind up with.

Yeah, we cut that section for the sake of brevity. Along with the section about how I don't wash my rig, how I seldom vacuum, and how you should never buy a used truck from me.

Having seen your rig & go into the same places I can attest to the,"Do Not Buy a Used Truck from this Guy" line.
Noticed I need to dig the mud out of my wheel backs again to balance them yesterday,and checked my 10 ply Yokahama Geolanders for pressure/wear. Have a lever bar that works for this or digging so you can get a shovel in there ...to change the spare/spare.
Tho I have 2 trucks now,a go anywhere 98' 4x Tacoma hunter & a newer F-150 off road I noticed we use a lot of same gear & what we expect of them.
Tool boxes loaded with REAL tools.Heavy floor mats that hold a bucket of dirt.The underside of covered seats with signal booster & power inverter ,scrapers & various gloves.
You'd be proud.
My newer clean "Sunday go a hunting Ford" is looking more like the Toyota these days....good thing I have no gal to impress and have to move binos & such to back pile of rain gear,water,survival pack ....just so someone can ride any way.

I think I caught you not being impressed with the leather seats in the Ford when you waved me off digging out the extra tow hitch for you guys to use last year with my trailer...lol. You & Corey both kept saying,"Got it" as I asked about stuff driving out of camp.

Extra set of chain tensioners are cheap insurance.

Keep that hi-lift oiled down, the pins like to rust in place.

When there's snow around, I always carry a scoop shovel.

Since you basically work and live out of your truck, it makes sense that you have all the handy stuff you do in there. Really cool video.

No chainsaw though? In SW Montana it doesn't happen to me as often, but when I hunted NW of Missoula, there were a few times my chainsaw opened up the road at 4 in the morning after a windy night.

Nice setup Randy. I've been accused of being over prepared in the past, but I saw a few things in the video that I need to add.

A couple items I didn't see in your video
I have a 3 foot length of 2 inch pipe that i use to break the lug nuts loose. lots of extra tie down straps, the stretchy kind - some rubber, some nylon. A power pack/battery for jumps or to charge something off of. Air pump or small compressor. Ax with flat head on the back side to whack stuff with. the item I really like is my truck has the 'saddle bag' type storage in the side of the bed over the rear tires. I wish that came standard on all trucks. It's really handy to store all of the extra gear and tools without taking up space in the back bed.

'Very informative and helpful video, Big Fin.
The star lug wrench is not only helpful for trailer wheel lug nuts, but also for your truck when lug nuts are torqued tight.
I also pack a collapsible canvas pail, parachute cord, short ropes, long rope, spare fuzes, big a$$ maglite, a bow saw, an axe or hatchet (for logging road fallen tree removal and firewood cutting), an atlas gazetteer for navigating back roads, bear spray for wife's security confidence and for impromptu hikes in bear country, and a good first aid kit ... among other useful stuff I discover stored away when I occasionally clean the vehicle.

You are well prepared Randy, I kept thinking of things to add to the list and you mention them. The only thing I'll say about having a winch on my truck is I get very tired if calls to come pull people out if the ditch. I've always used my truck as a tool, it's not pretty but neither am I . Like I told you when we were meeting last fall look for the most beat up Chevy you've ever seen and you found me.

Randy, I carry almost everything you have year round plus a couple of other items. A person above mentioned a booster pack to jump start your vehicle. Definitely invest in one of those. I run a Chevy with the 6.0 motor and two batteries. My factory batteries made it to 12.5 years and decided they didn't want to go any further. Hooked up the booster pack and fired up instantly. I have one that I can recharge with the 12 volt plug once I use it, because it drains the pack pretty well. You could also use it on an ATV, boat, etc...

He also said a small air compressor, they can come in handy especially if you ever need to air down your tires.

Unless I missed it, a first aid kit.

When you're due for tires take a look at the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A. I'm on my 3rd set and the only puncture I have ever experienced is from a screw I ran over. I spend a lot of time on logging roads during hunting season that are notorious for sharp rocks. They are quiet going down the highway, give great traction and wear well. I replaced the first set at 48,000 miles and only because I was heading into winter and making a trip with the kids to Montana. Had it been summer I would've ran them a bit longer. And that was also hauling a heavy Arctic Fox truck camper quite a bit of the time. I'd easily expect 50,000 miles out of a set.

Really like the video. One question, do you put a lift on your truck at all and go with bigger tires or is it stock? Any other aftermarket upgrades that you do to your rig(suspension, skid plates, etc)? (other than the bumper, tires and topper) Curious what other folks do as well. Thanks for another informative video.

Really like the video. One question, do you put a lift on your truck at all and go with bigger tires or is it stock? Any other aftermarket upgrades that you do to your rig(suspension, skid plates, etc)? (other than the bumper, tires and topper) Curious what other folks do as well. Thanks for another informative video.

The Nissan PRO-4X comes with the skid plates I need, so no aftermarket stuff. To support the weight up front of the bumper and winch, the guys who do the service on my truck, two Hunt Talkers with the family business known as The Autoworks here in Bozeman, suggested a 2" spacer. I don't want anything lifted. Just too many other complications and problems need to be offset when going with the big lift options.

As for tires, these are stock tires in the size Nissan recommends for this truck. My former neighbor runs the tire shop that sells Cooper Tires, so the price is always very good for me, removing any interest in looking at other comparable tires.

You may have taken it for granted since you had the signal booster in there, but one of the "modern tools" for me has been an inverter. During FireTiger's elk hunt we'd have all three outlets filled with stuff being charged constantly. Phones, GPS, Cameras etc. Some of the newer trucks might just have those built in ... I don't know, can't afford one. :D

Highly recommend a hide a key.

If your rig has a chipped key, you may need to keep a non chipped key in the box hidden outside of the vehicle in order to simply access the vehicle. Chipped key hidden in a velcro pouch sticky hide a key inside the vehicle someplace in order to keep the chipped key out of the elements.

Informative...quite the office commute vehicle. We stow much of the same gear for mountain hunting. The topper and 10 plys are the way to go for sure.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back