Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Greeting from Maine

FrozenNorth

Hello All,

I have a real name, but everyone just calls me Red these days and I am alright if you all choose to as well.

I am from Central Maine and grew up in an outdoors oriented family but they were not hunters. I was introduced to this great past time by my uncle at the age of 10 (legal minimum age to get a junior license at the time) in my great-grandmother's woods chasing deer opening day. I hunted that single day that year, and ever since I have been hooked on the sport.

My uncle didn't have time to take me often, he had to drive 3.5 hours to come up, and so I begged and pleaded with anyone who hunted to take me out and teach me. Once I turned 16 and could hunt by myself I took to the woods to learn through trial and error.....a lot of error.

I became very adept at chasing small game, especially ruffed grouse which tend to be plentiful up here, but then I met a neighbor that had moved up from New Jersey who was an avid deer hunter and he took me under his wing. That year I shot my first Jake turkey in the Fall season, which I attribute to an increase in confidence and basic skills my neighbor had given me, the next year I shot my first deer which was a 130lb 4 point buck at the age of 23.

I am currently up to 7 turkeys, including two Fall seasons in a row where I tagged my limit of 2 with 1 shot, I bagged my second deer this past season which was a 180lb 8 point, and I even took up waterfowling and coyote hunting. Basically, I hunt anything, anywhere, whenever I can.

I am in a state that is almost all private land, and so I cobble together permission when and where I can, but I dream of big public land hunts in my future. I came to this forum to continue to listen and learn from those who have been at this much longer than I and to hopefully add something meaningful to the conversation.

Thanks for reading.

Red

Don't forget all that timber company land north of you is all public. Not as many deer per square mile but there are thousands of square miles open.

Welcome to the forum. I have hunted and camped near Greenville, I love the great north woods just as much as the wide open spaces out west

Welcome Red! I love hunting timber company land in New England- nothing like tracking a big buck in the Big Woods.
While not exactly public, we are lucky to have those lands to wander freely on. I'd definitely recommend getting out west when you can.

Welcome. I hope we can help you with those dreams of hunting the big public lands.

Thank you all for such a warm reception!

It's really cool that some of you have hunted the North Woods, I haven't had the chance to deer hunt up there yet, however I usually get up to the Moosehead Lake region for grouse hunting during October (only archery for deer at that time and the guys want to hunt birds). I have helped my close friend hunt moose when he was drawn back in the Fall of 2008 and that was an incredible experience.

I have to say, having hauled that beast out with a truck and trailer I can not imagine how you guys out West backpack out these big game animals. Hats off to you!

Welcome Red, just got back from vacation in Maine. Really enjoyed it up there, especially the lobster rolls! My brother just took a job up there and finally got moved in around Brunswick, he is a fanatic about hunting but is in a adjustment period since moving there from here in Wyoming. Reds Eats & LL Bean's 24 hour doors will always be must see every time I'm up there, good luck!

Anything and everything. He's having a learning curve with all the private ground up there compared to here, but he's open to try anything.

Well, he is more than welcome to hunt with us anytime, as are you if you come to visit. Puddle ducks, sea ducks, grouse, turkey, deer, and I am even trying to do some bear hunting. I am always open to new hunting buddies. Make sure that both of you start putting in for the moose permit, because it is one heck of a hunt.

Back