New Mexico Question

Art Vandeley

I have a questions regarding the New Mexico draw system. Am I reading correctly that if I want to apply for the 2 bighorn sheep species, and the exotics, I will need to front almost $10k as a non-resident? I see that the draw deadline is March 22nd, and I've read the draw results should be out in late April. I would assume the refund checks are cut shortly after the draw results are out? Not complaining, just want to make sure that is the way it works.

Thanks

You can only do one application for bighorn sheep. You can choose either Bighorn or Desert as your choices but it is the same application. So only $8,000 up front.

They are pretty quick about refunds. If you put them on a credit card they will credit your card a day or two after the draw.

I pay my credit card off each month so I don't pay any interest and then end up with a big credit balance that takes months to use up after they put the credit back on the card.

Have to front the entire tag and application fee for each species. You get the tag fee back when you don't draw and they keep the $13 application fee per species. Also have to buy a $65 yearly license, which is also refundable when you don't draw anything. Get's really expensive when you are applying for yourself and your kids! We live very close to NM so it is a "must apply" state. NM also allows the use of electronic checks which I always do and I wish more states would. This avoids carrying a balance on a credit card for a month or having a large credit balance if you pay it off every month and don't draw. NM is generally very quick with their refunds.

Good to know that they refund it fairly quickly. That's a lot of coin! Thanks for the info.

My hunting refund check is my fun money for the summer. Resident, so not in your monetary class. Do refund quickly!

I like the New Mexico model on licenses. Could and should do a better job on nonresidents' drawing odds. I still believe (have said it many times) is the amount of private land vouchers given out, is the worst deficit in the system.

If I owned a ranch, I might think different.

Unless it's different for nonresidents, and I'm 99% sure it's not, you get three bighorn applications. But one is a Rocky Mountain ram and the other a Desert ram. The third choice can be a ewe.

The odds could certainly be better if 10% of the tags didn't go to the outfitter pool. In 2016, 4 tags went to outfitters versus 2 for non residents.

I wish they'd change the system a little bit. Because you have to get astronomically luck to draw a tag but then you have to have enough tags in the unit you selected. So you could be drawn early in the draw and not really care the unit you hunt, but may not have a tag if your selected units are full. They should pick the first 50 names and those hunters could pick units like a draft. You could either specify units and get passed over or leave it blank. But if you leave it blank you get whatever is left when it's your turn to pick.

I mean the odds of drawing are about 1/1000. I would not turn down any unit with those odds. What am I gonna say? I'll wait for a better unit next millennium?

We are talking 50 people. Not that much extra effort for an expensive and rare tag.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:
Reality check.
You have to have extremely good luck & or a lot of points paid to draw any really good tag any where.
R or NR.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back