Colorado Unit 135 Antelope Advice

OHIOOutdoors2

Hello all, was looking for some advice for the early archery season for the Colorado antelope season. I was reviewing lands on CO's hunting atlas and was comparing units that looked like they had some decent amount of public land and found the unit 135 and some of the surrounding units. I was curious if anyone could speak on this unit or any eastern units nearby? Thank you very much in advance!

I hunted antelope last year a little north of unit 135. We paid a trespass fee and hunted on a private ranch. Some of the areas that are labeled "State Of Colorado" on lets say ONX Maps is actually private. So you might keep that in mind when looking at public land. There were lots of antelope on the ranch we hunted too. I was there for a muzzleloader hunt so it was late Sept. during the rut. My dad and I filled both our tags. Planning on going back this fall if we get drawn.

Anyone have any more information to help a fellow hunter out? This process is a little overwhelming.

Anyone have any more information to help a fellow hunter out? This process is a little overwhelming.
What exactly are you wanting to know?
Antelope hunting tactics? Looking for a place to hunt? It looks like unit 135 is about 42% public land. If you are hunting early archery I would suggest hunting over a water hole in a pop-up blind. When the bucks start rutting I would use a Montana decoy to draw them into bow range.
If you have already purchased a tag and your hunt doesn't pan out. I believe you can get a refund from the Colorado DOW.

Yes it will be early archery season opener if it pans out. I've been using google earth to try to find a water hole on the public but may have to switch to OnX so I can compare water to the public lines. It looks like the unit has a decent stream/creek flowing through it. Would that be worth giving a look.

Finding info for Colorado Public Land Pronghorn is not like finding it for Wyoming - there just isn't much public except for the units that take a decade or more to draw. People are going to be pretty tight lipped when they do find a spot that produces.

Finding info for Colorado Public Land Pronghorn is not like finding it for Wyoming - there just isn't much public except for the units that take a decade or more to draw. People are going to be pretty tight lipped when they do find a spot that produces.

Agree with this 100%

Also OnXMaps has done a lot of damage IMO, all my antelope spots are slammed full of people now. Thanks to that program and just about everyone having it on they're phone now you'll have plenty of competition for what public you do find

A huge chunk of public lands in most of SE Colorado is leased out for grazing. Good luck finding public land that doesn't have cows on it. The cows run the antelope off of the water holes and pushes them back on to private land for water. 135 is one of the heaviest hunted units in the area due to it's close proximity to Kansas and New Mexico and Trinidad and Pueblo and Springs. It's like a damned zoo from I've seen when I tried hunting it. I wouldn't hunt it anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I'll find another unit or another OTC state with similar season start dates.

I guide Pronghorn in Texas and one of my landowners has another ranch in Colorado. I'm actually headed up there this coming Tuesday to scout it out. The ranch sits in unit 136 and he has 4 buck tags with it. If I end up taking it I would sell the hunts pretty dang cheap this year. I'll let you know what I end up doing, might be a viable option for you.

I don't know if you have preference points, but unit 88/87 have lots of pronghorn and public land. Tons of mature bucks.

I guide Pronghorn in Texas and one of my landowners has another ranch in Colorado. I'm actually headed up there this coming Tuesday to scout it out. The ranch sits in unit 136 and he has 4 buck tags with it. If I end up taking it I would sell the hunts pretty dang cheap this year. I'll let you know what I end up doing, might be a viable option for you.
Hey king1886ranch,
I have a Colorado muzzleloader tag for 2017 but always looking for new hunts. Could you send me a pm about these tags?

Back