MT Archery Elk... Backpacking in, necessary?

teej89

We're considering doing a trip this fall before our MT deer hunt, archery elk. However... this would be our first DIY archery elk hunt, is it possible to camp at the trail head in a wall tent? Or... is it almost necessary to backpack in and set up camp? Just wondering because we don't have all the equipment to backpack in.

Thanks!
T.J.

I have killed many elk with my bow and have never had to backpack in some where

It's not at all necessary to backpack in. It may mean more hiking and getting up earlier to get to your hunting spot. You may also be getting back to camp later each evening. Other than that, it's not a lot different. You will be able to have a more comfortable camp at the trailhead.

I've done it both ways. I haven't noticed any real differences in the number of elk seen either way. I did my first backpack camp about 10 years ago. I can tell you that a lot more people are doing that type hunt now. Sometimes I feel more crowded camping in the backcountry than camping at the trailhead.

It's not at all necessary to backpack in. It may mean more hiking and getting up earlier to get to your hunting spot. You may also be getting back to camp later each evening. Other than that, it's not a lot different. You will be able to have a more comfortable camp at the trailhead.

I've done it both ways. I haven't noticed any real differences in the number of elk seen either way. I did my first backpack camp about 10 years ago. I can tell you that a lot more people are doing that type hunt now. Sometimes I feel more crowded camping in the backcountry than camping at the trailhead.

^^^This

It also depends on where the elk are. Each year can be different.

I've never backpacked in bow or rifle. In my experience, where I hunt in southwest MT, the elk are much more accessible than during rifle season. The farthest I've taken an elk from my rig in bow season is one mile. During rifle it seems I generally don't see much sign until I'm a mile in. Like others said just keep poking around til you find them.

Obviously, trailhead camping vs. backcountry camping can be evaluated as a case by case basis. As others have pointed out, there's advantages to both. A few more are, you'll most likely eat better and rest more comfortably in tailgate camping. Also, if the weather gets really nasty, particularly if you can't bowhunt in the rain, it would be nice to be able to relax with your buddies in a big wall tent, rather than hunkering down in a small tent, with wet clothing and the like.

As much as I love backpack hunting, trailhead camping gives you so many more options. Where I hunt in SW Montana, there is a different USFS trailhead about every mile of the byway here. I'll utilize at least 6-8 different trailheads throughout archery season.

There is some really excellent hunting for those that are willing to do some backpacking. That's certainly not to say it's necessary.

Curious to where you found this? I'm not calling you out at all I've just been poking around and couldn't come up with anything yet.

Our ranch is at a USFS trailhead. Although it is not a campground, people camp there all the time. Especially during hunting season.

I would recommend camping at the trailhead/trailheads and bouncing around a bit until you locate elk. If you find an area holding elk and it is too far to day hunt very well, maybe consider spiking out then.(you don't need many supplies if its september and its only 1 or 2 nights) As years go on, and you get things figured out, you may start to learn axactly where, when you want to be somewhere and at that point it might be worth it just to start hiking in and camping.

^2 for MTGomer. I've got a few spots that I can either leave the truck at midnight and hike in to be at a spot at first light, or hike in the day before and bivy/camp till first light. That's only because I know where I want to be at first light.

Unless you want a backpack hunt experience out of the gate - but it sounds like you are geared up for a "car-camp" type setup now. I would be as flexible as possible covering drainages over the course of your hunt and figuring out the particulars. After that, you can focus a bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back