Yeti GOBOX Collection

AZ Draw, Should I Do It?

It's quite possible.
Last day of Elk apps in 2017 was Feb 14; last day of Elk apps in 2018 will be Feb 13. Last day of Elk apps in 2019 will be Feb 12. License is good for 365 days. Works very well for a person building points.

So you wouldn't be able to draw a tag the second year because your license would be expired on the date of the draw but you would earn a point?

You could draw the tag but would need to purchase a new license for the 2nd year. For points only, because you aren't hunting you buy the license on the last day year 1, then year 3, then year 5, being mindful of the year in which the dates kick back. You do the same if applying for a hunt, you just might need to buy a new license depending on when you drew the tag.
Same strategy as Utah except Utah doesn't require a license to hunt and the license only needs to be valid when you submit the app.

after years of putting in across a number of other states out west, I finally broke down and put my name in the hat in AZ. Now I need to decide if I want to do the same in UT. :rolleyes:

Big Arizona fan here. Just love the many hunting opportunities I've put in for. But I'm a bit different on the outlook I have for where my license and tag fees are going. Out of the western states I've hunted Arizona game and fish has hands down put more back into the hunting fishing community. This is partly because they really use the sportsmans fees for upgrades and maintenance of the units and quality game management. To me, this is very impressive and therefor do not mind the separate license/tag system they have made. The bonus is, a NR license is both a hunt/fish license so if you have the time AZ has a lot to offer.

That's exactly what Sams Club and Costco do......pay their annual fee before you go in and drop $100.

WapitiBob I had not heard of this, have you talked to F&G about it? I always see the big warning when applying that says you must have a valid hunting license at the time of the draw? But does that just mean you can't draw a tag but can still get a point?

Also, I don't see a way to make it work for applying for deer also? I get my hunting license this year and it is good til next february, but the deer application doesn't open til after that? So it only works if you are applying for elk/antelope or deer only but you can't do it for both?

The disclaimer states you must have a valid license on the last day of the application period deadline for the given draw.

One species only for the reason you stated.

Funny what short memories some of you personal attackers have. That guy from St. Charles, Illinois saved all your sorry a$$e$ in 2012 when he gunned down Jerry Weir's HB2072 and sent AZSFW and their lobbyist packing their bags for parts unknown. That corrupt "emergency" legislation would have raped the best 500 Arizona big game tags from the public, both R & NR, to go on the auction block. Back then your guy got ~40 late night phone calls from AZ hunters thanking him. But apparently these days it's all about..........."What have you done for me lately". Haha.

You should at least try to follow the forum rules you agreed to when you registered.

OP hard to say if it's worth it long term now, because there's never been the point creep that the system change has now propagated. The license fee combined with the former system really made it appealing to buy in, but that's all over now. I found one quality hunt that I enjoy and can draw every 3 years so it's worth it to me. I would probably just look at the low tier hunts only, triple the points it took to draw in the past, and ask yourself if you're willing to pay/wait that long for those hunts, because the random odds for mid-upper level hunts are going to pan out as dismal as the Utah model. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back