Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fin's weakness - Dogs

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I have a serious soft spot for dogs, especially abandoned puppies. Some of you saw part of this puppy in the original New Mexico antelope episode. I was surprised how many comments we received for putting that short segment in the episode.

Here is a bit longer clip that shows I'm a sucker for a dog with a wagging tail, or in this case a whimper.

[video=youtube_share;oSRfpw7wEqM]https://youtu.be/oSRfpw7wEqM[/video]

Good job Fin. I can't imagine the type of heartless person that would abandon a puppy.

I'd like a minute or two alone with whoever dropped that dog off. Thanks Randy. mtmuley

Randy it never ceases to amaze me how people treat domesticated animals with such a lack of decency. Good on you for taking the time out of your hunt to get this pup back on the right track.

Showed my wife the clip and she about jumped in the car and started the 16 hour drive to NM... bet there is a puppy in our near future.

Great happy ending.

As for the ass-wipe that abandon him, I hope he gets his.

Thanks for sharing this.

I remember seeing that episode. It definitely upset me to see that somebody had left that pup out there or allowed it to happen. I was also relieved to see he was in your good hands.

I don't get people. I appreciate that you went to the trouble to rescue the little guy, even if it kind of screwed up your plans.

Yeah, it was five or six hours of lost hunting/filming, by the time we drove all over Socorro County looking for a place that might take him. But, when I recall other times we've wasted five or six hours of hunting/filming on some really dumb ideas I had, this seemed like a worthwhile cause.

Great story and good job.

My brother and I always joke. Doesn't matter if someone is a Republican, Democrat, Christian, or atheist. Perhaps the most telling thing about a person is whether or not they pick up lost dogs on the side of the road and help dig people out of the ditch.

That was touching, damn, got something in my eye right now. Glad it all worked out.

Great story and good job.

My brother and I always joke. Doesn't matter if someone is a Republican, Democrat, Christian, or atheist. Perhaps the most telling thing about a person is whether or not they pick up lost dogs on the side of the road and help dig people out of the ditch.

Whenever I see someone in a ditch I always ask if they are Republican, Democrat, Christian or atheist. I've driven away a couple of times.... :) Never left a lost dog though.

Good on you Fin for picking up that dog. Too bad you weren't driving. He looked like he had some potential as a lion hound. That could have been your ticket into hound hunting! :)

Whenever I see someone in a ditch I always ask if they are Republican, Democrat, Christian or atheist. I've driven away a couple of times.... :) Never left a lost dog though.

Good on you Fin for picking up that dog. Too bad you weren't driving. He looked like he had some potential as a lion hound. That could have been your ticket into hound hunting! :)

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe someone felt that this dog was runty. Fin, you should have hooked a hot dog up to a string and dragged it around to see if the little guy would follow. You never know what they become at that age.

I agree with Gerald on that one, he looks like there is some lion hound in him. I'm sure that would made for a heck of a show...Randy rescues pup then chases big kitties with him.

If I had the chance to track the POS that did this to that pup and drop him off out in the desert I'd gladly do it then take the little hound home and make him a fat happy pup. I bet he's a rotund lap dog now that he has a forever home.

Some years back while on patrol shortly after a snowstorm, I came to the end of a remote dead end road. I observed a 12 pack beer container with blood around it. Thinking poacher evidence, I dumped out the contents of the box. I was horrified to see 7 hound puppies. Someone had stuffed all the puppies into the box, riddled it with .22 rounds, then drove away. Some of the puppies were dead, some wounded, and a couple were unhurt. I was beside myself with anger. I finished off the wounded ones and took the live pups to a shelter. Sad to say I never located the shooter... perhaps just as well ...

Told ya you shoulda called me.

I ran into the deputy that took the dog in the end.
Happy Dog.

I will never understand why people do this to animals. If you don't want them fine, but drop them off at a shelter and give them a chance. If you're too damn embarrased to look another person in the eye while you're doing it then tie them up outside the shelter in the middle of the night.

I hear you. We get dogs dumped out here a lot. Add that to locals who do not take care of them.I went off on some folks in town as I watched the 3rd dog in a week hit on the hwy in town as dogs were just running around & folks did nothing. They were more shocked/upset at my asking why folks just let their dogs run willynilly on a hwy. Brain dead.Walking dead.

I have not had a dog in 7 yrs. Am checking online with the Socorro Rescue Shelter this week. Saw some cute Labs,shepards & hounds.

Back