Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Front Range Sheep 'Scouting'

cedahm

I had a light couple days on the client front this week and have spent most of them crunching sheep numbers and researching units/harvest sites, etc. About 4 hours into it today, the thought occurred to me that I could throw the bike in the truck, drive 10 miles, ride a few more and probably check out some real sheep.

Sure enough...3 miles in, band of 5 on the road.

Now, these are likely the most photographed sheep in the rockies, maybe the world, very accustomed to folks, so it's not like finding them is in any way a difficult undertaking, especially in winter. But still - it's a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that even here in the 'suburbs' I can go watch wild sheep 20 minutes from my door.

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 4.53.27 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 4.53.09 PM.jpg

Hey, I know where that is at.

lol. I did see they are doing a rifle tag this year which was really what got me out of the office chair and over there. I know they did 1 ram archery tag in 2015 (full curl ram taken with 36+&35+ inch length), no tag last year. I won't be putting in for it, but man would it be a laid-back hunt (which is not what I want out of a sheep hunt).

But - if some HuntTalker draws the tag, I'm happy to help scout a few times a week :)

So, which one do you pick? I like 2nd from right. Curl seems tight though like is near eye.

My sheep judging skills are weak, but the one in back looked like it had the most length and some flare. The front/leader had the most mass.

I love seeing wild sheep, even if they are standing right on the road! Ran across this guy between south fork and creede a couple weeks ago.

A few years back, half way up the Poudre Canyon, just above Rustic, CO.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 491
Those sheep up there are fun to watch! I heard a rumor the bow hunter choked on his shot and the warden had to finish off the ram before the public saw it, I'd love to know if it's true or not.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those photos as I was up the canyon with my family a month or so ago and ran into part of the herd at about the same place you were at; I was looking for more mature rams but certainly didn't see the ones you had photographed above!! I've thought about applying for the ewe tag with the points I have just due to the proximity I am to those sheep and how it would facilitate scouting on an almost daily basis for me but, as stated above, I think I'm going to hold out for a different type of hunt.

Hey, I know where that is at.

Some beautiful Rams in there...

These are likely the most photographed sheep in the rockies, maybe the world, very accustomed to folks.

I believe that is the purpose behind establishing a hunt there is to make them a little less accustomed to folks. Apparently people like to feed them and touch them, which is not necessarily a good thing for wild sheep. Thanks for sharing the pic's though, I love seeing them!

Yes, the number of goobers from the Denver metro who think they need to pet the wildlife is alarming. The canyon was also closed a while back because people were trying to take selfies with a mama black bear and her cubs, you can guess how the sow was reacting...

Yes, the number of goobers from the Denver metro who think they need to pet the wildlife is alarming. The canyon was also closed a while back because people were trying to take selfies with a mama black bear and her cubs, you can guess how the sow was reacting...

The signs with 5-6 detailed "DO NOT DO" instructions are very thorough, but maybe they should just replace them with signs in huge font that simply say "Don't mess with the F***ing sheep"

I've been out on winter range getting ready for the sheep I will go after when I draw the raffle tag. What you think? Close to a 170 here, I think he would hit it. Tight curl, but he's heavy, and that matters as we all know. I've seen this ram before, he's deceiving. I'm below him here, so he doesn't look like he drops much, but he is about even with jawline.

ssss.jpg

Last edited:
And then there was this guy............ never to be seen. Dead, off in greener pastures............ the hunt continues.

uk.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back