Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho Steelhead

Make that 3 of us watching this thread, Steelhead very high on my bucket list.
I prefer fly fishing.
Cheers
Richard

If fresh from the ocean steelhead are what you're after you'll want to go to the coast. If steelhead that have been in the river for 8 months are what you desire, Idaho is the place for you.
**The Clearwater is somewhat in the middle of those two options

True, the A run is down this year but the North Fork area is BEAUTIFUL!!! Tons of people in a few stretches but also miles and miles of river that you could basically have to yourself.
Also there is the Stanley area but again the returns are down this year but then again BEAUTIFUL country!!

The tip on water dropping and clearing should be burned into your memory.

This last is most important. Buy your tackle, specifically jigs from Jim Dodge, if he's still alive. Last time I was there his pregnant daughter was melting lead on the kitchen stove for pouring jig heads. While there mention wolves or co-eds at U of I in Moscow. It'll make the trip worth it! He used to offer lodging for $15/night. Cheap but a bit "Spartan"...

I checked with an area source, Jim's still there selling tackle and with similar accommodations.

I checked with an area source, Jim's still there selling tackle and with similar accommodations.
Glad to hear my info isn't that out of date! I'd love to do a return trip, but don't see that happening.

One other note, if you decide to visit the local movie theater, keep your warm clothing with you. My one and only visit I could see my breath whilst inside the theater. I approached the manager and he said, "I'm not turning on the heat for one movie". I wore my insulated coat and stocking cap. The local kids were in short sleeves...

I wouldn't rule out fishing the Grande Ronde if your banking it.. Where Id fish if I was banking it, but like mentioned the "A" run this year is in the toilet which is the majority of the Rondes run.

Ironic that I just saw this thread, just returned from 2 days of fishing. Things are starting to happen fast now. Between myself and another friend we landed 13 fish which has been about average for us the last couple years. This year was slightly different in that we had to move around a lot initially to find where the fish were. I agree with everything buzz said, we caught about half with a fly rod and half with spinning gear. Anytime I invite someone to go with me I always tell them two things: 1. expect to fish 12 hours per day and maybe not catch anything, 2. You can not appreciate how many people will be on the river until you see it in person. Here is a picture of a couple from yesterday, they all kinda start to look the same after a while:)

photo-19.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, those are some fine steelhead! Biggest I ever caught was a little over 17 lbs and about 3miles from the ocean on the smith in Calif!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back