PEAX Equipment

Big Game Apps in the West

UPSman_bowhunter

I am 30 years old and live in central Illinois. I have been elk hunting in Colorado 6 or 7 times. I love to hunt in the mountains and knowing how long it takes to draw certain tags so I've decided to start applying for multiple each year. I have the desire to hunt most everything in the west, from mule deer to big horn and mountain goat. Where do I start? I know I can hunt elk every year in multiple states with OTC tags. Do I start applying for glory tags for elk or focus more on other species? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This podcast will tell you how - Hunt Elk Every Year

[video=youtube_share;aApkcti9Qpw]https://youtu.be/aApkcti9Qpw[/video]

Thanks Randy. I have listened to all of your podcasts while I'm delivering for UPS. Helps to pass the time. They're a great source of info. I have listened to that one and plan to elk hunt every year if I'm not hunting another species. I've heard you promote goHunt.com a lot. However, I still haven't gotten a membership yet. Does it cover all species? I'm curious about big horn and mountain goat tags and which states in the lower 48 even allow non resident hunters for those species. I've heard that you haven't even drawn a big horn tag for your home state. Maybe this is your year. Would I just be wasting my time applying for such limited tags?

I did a lot of research on this in the last couple years. I decided to apply for points for elk and mule deer in CO, elk md and antelope in WY, and everything in AZ. Also putting in for the draw in NM which is random and has no point system. This seemed to give me the best bang for my buck and give me a pretty good chance to go on a nice hunt every year and a better hunt every few years.

Thanks Randy. I have listened to all of your podcasts while I'm delivering for UPS. Helps to pass the time. They're a great source of info. I have listened to that one and plan to elk hunt every year if I'm not hunting another species. I've heard you promote goHunt.com a lot. However, I still haven't gotten a membership yet. Does it cover all species? I'm curious about big horn and mountain goat tags and which states in the lower 48 even allow non resident hunters for those species. I've heard that you haven't even drawn a big horn tag for your home state. Maybe this is your year. Would I just be wasting my time applying for such limited tags?

Yes, gohunt covers all species and is a great resource.

For mountain goat and bighorn sheep, tags are available to draw but they are damn tough to draw. Pretty much all the western states have tags available for non-residents including Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona. Maybe California too, I'm not sure. Not all of them have both available but most do. Odds range from probably 1 in 100 to 1 in 5,000+. The draw systems vary across the board with how they work but they all will cost some money to get into. It depends on the state but you should plan on spending between $50-200 to get into the draw systems. Some states you have to buy a NR hunting license before you can even get into the draw. When that is required, it makes the most sense to apply for every species including deer, elk and antelope. For example, AZ requires you to buy a $160ish license and then $15 per species to apply. That deadline just happens to be tomorrow for elk and antelope. In other states, you can apply for just a certain species for a certain amount of money. I think MT basically charges $70 to apply each for mountain goat and sheep. For Wyoming, a sheep point costs $100.

I am 33 and have been applying in most states for 6 years. I'll consider myself lucky to draw 1 sheep and 1 mountain goat tag in my life. I THINK I'll pull a mountain goat but will probably need to get damn lucky for sheep.

Which states you apply in and which species you apply for largely depends on your finances. You can easily spend $1,000 just on non-refundable app fees and licenses each year.

Generally speaking, MT, CO and WY are considered good opportunity states where you can pull tags every 0-3 years. Or, you can apply for the primo tags and wait 20 years to get a tag but in general, there are tons of good tags in these states for 0-3 points. UT, NV and AZ are usually considered more trophy states where you can expect to pull a tag every 8-20 years. There are exceptions there as well but I'd say AZ is the best option of those 3.

I could go on and on and on but that should get you started. Also, there are slight exceptions to almost everything I said but for the most part, this is a quick rundown. And you are asking these questions JUST as the application season is starting so you'll have to decide fast on what you'd like to do for this year.

Like I said, the AZ deadline is tomorrow so you'd have to decide fast on that one. Next up is UT, NM and MT which have draw deadlines in March.

Have you ever researched much on big horn or mountain goat?

Yes I have. When I want to be depressed, I do sheep/goat research and realize that even in my home state, with max points, the odds of me sheep hunting are very low. Then, if I want to be depressed further, I look at what it would cost to jump in the point chase in other states I am currently not part of and I realize that it will be a pot load of money in applications and license fees with even lower odds.

There are some very good NR odds for archery sheep in CO, in the 1/15 to 1/35 range after you have 3 points. Low success rates, but...

Caveat: Odds may get much worse next year when CO goes to online apps for NR and they are able to put it on a card.

Idaho is a random draw, and you are limited to applying for one of the big species, so it leads to "better" odds. You have to put the entire fee down upfront, however, and you have to buy a $160-ish hunting license to apply.

I am 30 years old and live in central Illinois. I have been elk hunting in Colorado 6 or 7 times. I love to hunt in the mountains and knowing how long it takes to draw certain tags so I've decided to start applying for multiple each year. I have the desire to hunt most everything in the west, from mule deer to big horn and mountain goat. Where do I start? I know I can hunt elk every year in multiple states with OTC tags. Do I start applying for glory tags for elk or focus more on other species? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPSman, What town you live in? I work for USPS and live up in St. Charles, Illinois, but deer hunt west of Springfield each year. But I inspect our buildings for repair so I drive statewide, as well as St. Louis area and Wisconsin too. I get to combine a lot of hunting trips with my work. I have been applying out west since 1996 and been on many trips. I subscribe to GoHunt for my draw odds and also do Randy's podcasts. Got some DVD's as well. I'll PM you my cell number if you want to chat.

I'm 33 and have decided that the odds of ever drawing goat and sheep are just too slim to drop much money on applications for them. So, I only apply in states with a low application fee where I'm already applying for something else, and buy tickets for raffle tags here and there. As much as I'd like to hunt them, I'm resigned to the reality that it just isn't going to happen. If it was a serious lifelong goal I'd be saving up for a dall hunt in Alaska.

Idaho is probably as good of a bet as any with their random draw.

I'm 33 and have decided that the odds of ever drawing goat and sheep are just too slim to drop much money on applications for them. So, I only apply in states with a low application fee where I'm already applying for something else, and buy tickets for raffle tags here and there. As much as I'd like to hunt them, I'm resigned to the reality that it just isn't going to happen. If it was a serious lifelong goal I'd be saving up for a dall hunt in Alaska.

Same for me. I'm applying for sheep in AZ since it is only $15 more and I'm already buying the license to apply for elk, deer, and antelope. I will buy a few raffle tags when I'm feeling lucky. But I really don't expect to hunt goat or sheep and am not going to sink a large chunk of money on such low odds.

I'd say you're right on with that assessment. And honestly, the draw odds in some of the raffles are similar to the regular draws.

UPSman, What town you live in? I work for USPS and live up in St. Charles, Illinois, but deer hunt west of Springfield each year. But I inspect our buildings for repair so I drive statewide, as well as St. Louis area and Wisconsin too. I get to combine a lot of hunting trips with my work. I have been applying out west since 1996 and been on many trips. I subscribe to GoHunt for my draw odds and also do Randy's podcasts. Got some DVD's as well. I'll PM you my cell number if you want to chat.

Do you hunt Pike county? Some big deer over there. Still trying to figure this forum thing out.

How is a NR supposed to ever hunt goat or sheep though? 33 is young. I used to think it was old back in the day but even if it takes 20 years you'd think you'd still be able to do the hunt in your early 50's.

How is a NR supposed to ever hunt goat or sheep though? 33 is young. I used to think it was old back in the day but even if it takes 20 years you'd think you'd still be able to do the hunt in your early 50's.

Well, part of the problem is that there are so few tags available and everybody wants to hunt them. Another problem is that guys start buying points for their sons/daughters when they're eligible at only 10 or 12 years old. I'm sure there are a few guys out there your age that have 15-20 points because their parent starting buying points for them when they were really young. Makes it awfully tough for a guy like you or me to draw when there are so many ahead of us. Just as an example, there are over 9,500 non-residents with sheep points in WY right now and they give out 50-60 tags a year to NR's which is about the most of any state. Now a lot of those guys will drop out but you do the math. It ain't pretty.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_MS.pdf

Yes, gohunt covers all species and is a great resource.

For mountain goat and bighorn sheep, tags are available to draw but they are damn tough to draw. Pretty much all the western states have tags available for non-residents including Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona. Maybe California too, I'm not sure. Not all of them have both available but most do. Odds range from probably 1 in 100 to 1 in 5,000+. The draw systems vary across the board with how they work but they all will cost some money to get into. It depends on the state but you should plan on spending between $50-200 to get into the draw systems. Some states you have to buy a NR hunting license before you can even get into the draw. When that is required, it makes the most sense to apply for every species including deer, elk and antelope. For example, AZ requires you to buy a $160ish license and then $15 per species to apply. That deadline just happens to be tomorrow for elk and antelope. In other states, you can apply for just a certain species for a certain amount of money. I think MT basically charges $70 to apply each for mountain goat and sheep. For Wyoming, a sheep point costs $100.

I am 33 and have been applying in most states for 6 years. I'll consider myself lucky to draw 1 sheep and 1 mountain goat tag in my life. I THINK I'll pull a mountain goat but will probably need to get damn lucky for sheep.

Which states you apply in and which species you apply for largely depends on your finances. You can easily spend $1,000 just on non-refundable app fees and licenses each year.

Generally speaking, MT, CO and WY are considered good opportunity states where you can pull tags every 0-3 years. Or, you can apply for the primo tags and wait 20 years to get a tag but in general, there are tons of good tags in these states for 0-3 points. UT, NV and AZ are usually considered more trophy states where you can expect to pull a tag every 8-20 years. There are exceptions there as well but I'd say AZ is the best option of those 3.

I could go on and on and on but that should get you started. Also, there are slight exceptions to almost everything I said but for the most part, this is a quick rundown. And you are asking these questions JUST as the application season is starting so you'll have to decide fast on what you'd like to do for this year.

Like I said, the AZ deadline is tomorrow so you'd have to decide fast on that one. Next up is UT, NM and MT which have draw deadlines in March.

Thank you for all the info. Very helpful. I've been considering applying for these kind of tags for years and should've just done it. Finally, I got my ass in gear and decided to just jump into it. Good luck this app season. I hope you draw some good ones.

Yes I have. When I want to be depressed, I do sheep/goat research and realize that even in my home state, with max points, the odds of me sheep hunting are very low. Then, if I want to be depressed further, I look at what it would cost to jump in the point chase in other states I am currently not part of and I realize that it will be a pot load of money in applications and license fees with even lower odds.
What's the odds at max points for Montana? I've been researching Colorado and for a NR most people have fairly "good" odds at 18 points. Some lucky S.O.B drew last year with 1 point in the Georgetown unit. You think you will ever get that chance? I'm starting to apply now at the age of 30 in every state that has NR bighorn and mountain goat tags to hopefully draw one tag by the time I'm 50. Any further advice?

Back