Caribou Gear Tarp

6.5 hipster brass

MThuntr

A friend is acquiring a 6.5 Hipster (creedmoor) and wants me to do the loading for him. He wants to load economically so he's looking at Hornady or Nosler Factory Seconds for brass. Nosler is about $1/piece and Hornady is about $0.66. Any experience with those 2 brands in 6.5 Hipster?

6.5 Creedmoor and load economically shouldn't be in the same sentence.

I've loaded both Hornady & Nosler brass (not in that cartridge though). I tend to get a little more case life out of the Nosler, but I don't know if it is worth the extra money.

Loaded up 129 grain and 140 grain partitions this year in the 6.5 hipster. Ended up going with the 140 grain and shot 1 deer and 2 Antelope with it that went a combined distance of 1 yard.

Do they only do brass or bullets too?

both. Let me know what you are looking for and I can try and work out a package deal for you if you buy quantity. Check my website, there is Nosler and Hornady brass, and lots of bullets.

Last edited:
I recently found out that Alpha makes 6.5C brass, and is of excellent repute. Lapua just had a shipment land stateside and I think it lasted an hour. Small rifle pockets on the Lapua, if you didn't know. I hear if you handle the brass too much the 6.5C is catching, ha.

Looks like the complaints about Hornady brass are mounting against it pretty hard. I have him convinced that he wants to wait for when Lapua is available again although the reviews on Alpha Brass are very promising so he may be getting loads with that. After playing around with the idea, I may have even convinced myself to get a target rifle in 6.5 Hipster which would likely lead to the more ironic hipster 6 Creedmoor.

What are the complaints against Hornady brass? I have used lots of match brass in .308 and sized down to .260. I have never had any issues with either one.

Production quality (burrs in flash hole, inconsistent neck thickness) and loose primer pockets in 3-4 firings under mild-warm loads. The Production quality issues would be easily resolved with a neck turner and a deburring tool but loose primers could be an issue. Looked at Alpha brass and several guys are suggesting 15 loads before they come out of spec.

Is it all talk on the internet?...probably but if I can get this guy to squeeze out double or triple the number of reloads at 50% increase in cost I think he'd do that.

You're not a true hipster until you are forming hipster brass from the parent cases, parent case. It's kind of an obscure caliber, not too many people have heard of it.

Got word that Alpha Munitions has 6.5 creedmoor in stock so I had my buddy make the decision...Prime loaded ammo for $1.30-1.50/round so we can have fireformed Norma brass or buy Alpha brass and start out at $1/piece for brass. Looks like Alpha muntions brass is on its way to SW Montana.

Loaded up 129 grain and 140 grain partitions this year in the 6.5 hipster. Ended up going with the 140 grain and shot 1 deer and 2 Antelope with it that went a combined distance of 1 yard.

I hear the 140 Partitions are great, going to try those when I run out of the 143 ELD-x

I about have myself talked into getting a 6.5 after prepping for a friend but as a target rifle since I already have a 7mmHuntTalk for hunting. I'd probably use the Accubond Long Range if I used it for hunting though.

Ok so we got the 6.5 creemoor brass directly from Alpha Munitions...this stuff is no joke. It comes is 100round plastic boxes and all if it annealed very evenly. The brass is heavy and recommends reduced loads. The owner of the company sent a nice handwritten note thanking us for the purchase. Based on the reviews, I think Alpha will put Lapua and Norma to shame.

Full disclosure I bought some brass for myself and I don't even own a 6.5...yet.

brass is heavy and recommends reduced loads.

I've heard that phrase re; mil brass before but could you elaborate please?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back