Pronghorn winterkill?

Bhill552

There is plenty of talk of how bad this winter has been for deer. Wondering how the antelope are fairing. I specifically am wondering about ne wyoming but anyone with info on any area can chime in since im sure others are wondering as well. Thanks in advance

This is just my opinion but I don't think it will be nearly as bad as it looked like it might be a few weeks ago. There was definitely some nasty weather for a month or so but it's sure been nice lately. I mean Casper is supposed to have highs around 50 for at least the next week or so. Here in ND, I saw a herd of antelope about 2 weeks ago in an area where there are typically none so they had been surviving ok. Need some of the Wyoming guys to chime in here.

I know that SE Wyoming is also looking pretty good. I heard that the Dubois area, Lander area, have lost a lot of snow the last week or so.

There will be winter kill in some areas, but its good here right now. I had almost 20" on the flat in the yard 7-8 days ago...I could mow my lawn right now, none left.

The person I contacted in UT about this stated they don't usually start seeing many dead pronghorn until March or April. So, at least for the area I was talking about it may be too early to tell.

Latest update on east Wy ? It's been pretty mild around the Great Lakes. Just wondering if that has translated west.

In Idaho, they seem to be at higher risk from yew and poachers, at least what I have heard so far.

At least 28 of them were poached a few weeks ago https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/conser...achers-responsible-killing-28-pronghorns-near

A herd of 50 died earlier in the winter after eating Japanese yew. https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/pronghorn-deaths-blamed-japanese-yew There have been several reports of big game dying this winter after eating yew shrubs.

Wow! We spend a lot of money in this country dealing with noxious weeds and invasive aquatic species. I guess the next thing might have to be our landscaping plants. At least the deer don't die when they annihilate all the rose bushes people have in my town.

Ahh no. But it's pretty much over at the lower elevations. March is the cruelest month but we're over the hump in terms of the feeling of winter. Winterkill might be another story.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back