Making sausage

I used pork butt /shoulder, the fattiest one I can find. It ends up about 20% pork to venison when I am all said and done. I try and make any sausage from a late season doe. Usually she will have a 2 or 3 inch layer of fat on her to help. I find these steps work the best for us and our grinder. Start with coarse grinding, then mixing, then 75% freezing on cookie trays and wax paper (helps me feed it thru the grinder), then regrind on fine plates. I've done the stuffing directly from the grinder for the last few times but will buy a sausage stuffer for anymore that we do next year.

I have made this from the same place. I enjoyed it my dad did not so much. Tasted really good I thought.

Interested on what your dad didn't like about it. I bought enough to do 20lbs, wondering if I should just do 10lbs.

Interested on what your dad didn't like about it. I bought enough to do 20lbs, wondering if I should just do 10lbs.

He wasn't a fan of the texture. It was kind of like spam texture. I didn't mind it at all. I have seen people make it into like bologna shape so they could cut it into circles for breakfast sandwiches.

He wasn't a fan of the texture. It was kind of like spam texture. I didn't mind it at all. I have seen people make it into like bologna shape so they could cut it into circles for breakfast sandwiches.

Our local processor does the bologna shape. Thanks for the feedback.

This year I made a batch of elk breakfast sausage with 1/3 pork (split between bacon and pork shoulder) and 2/3 elk. Turned out great. I've done all pork fat before and while it tastes good, it shrinks down substantially when you cook it.

We buy 80 / 20 pork and mix it 50/50 with our wild game and grind twice once course grind then fine grind

I use 25% pork back fat and the rest game meat. Looking at the amount of white flecks in mine vs. Johnsonville, J-vill must use about 50% fat. Use a meat thermometer to cook thoroughly but not enough to dry them out. Works out real well.
See if you can find yourself some New Mexico Green Chiles this fall for a change from Jalapenos. Roast them on the grill, peel and you've got an awesome addition to all kinds of dishes. I've seen them sold fresh as far afield as Spencer, Iowa, and heard of them being sold fresh in Fred Meyer's in Fairbanks, Alaska.

What's in that heat-resistant cheese? Don't seem right.

I only grind once, before I mix in the spices.

The best I've done for brats seasoning is Penzey's Spices Bratwurst seasoning. I'm getting a little tired of their left wing political stand, but they make a great product, from the Milwaukee area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back