Caribou Gear Tarp

Public land, backpack whitetail hunt in Tennessee

damonbungard

Hey Everybody,

Damon from Orion Coolers. We're starting a new TV project on Sportsman's, the Orion Chronicles, and like Randy, trying to showcase public opportunities as much as possible.

The premier should kick off in April with a public land, multi-day backpack whitetail hunt here in TN. Rattling in bucks from the ground, during opening of the muzzleloader season. It's a really fun way to hunt, and there's a lot more public land available to do it on the East than people realize. I'll be discussing that during my seminar at this year's BHA Rendezvous in Missoula.

Teaser for the premier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hmBM2u4_o

Hope you like it.

Damon

Hey Everybody,

Damon from Orion Coolers. We're starting a new TV project on Sportsman's, the Orion Chronicles, and like Randy, trying to showcase public opportunities as much as possible.

The premier should kick off in April with a public land, multi-day backpack whitetail hunt here in TN. Rattling in bucks from the ground, during opening of the muzzleloader season. It's a really fun way to hunt, and there's a lot more public land available to do it on the East than people realize. I'll be discussing that during my seminar at this year's BHA Rendezvous in Missoula.

Teaser for the premier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hmBM2u4_o

Hope you like it.

Damon

Sounds neat. Looking forward to it.

I'll be doing similar hunts in OK, KY and possibly WV this year.
Chasing whitetail from the ground with a bow is a rush.

Looking forward to watching that episode. I've been meaning, for a couple years now, to do a backpack, late season, Wilderness Area hunt here in Indiana for squirrels. This might be the year as it looks like I'll have more in the time off account that time of year than normal.

PS- A spring squirrel hunt/fishing trip on Land Between the Lakes (or elsewhere in KY or TN) might be a fun, out of the ordinary shindig for a show!

Looking forward to watching that episode. I've been meaning, for a couple years now, to do a backpack, late season, Wilderness Area hunt here in Indiana for squirrels. This might be the year as it looks like I'll have more in the time off account that time of year than normal.

PS- A spring squirrel hunt/fishing trip on Land Between the Lakes (or elsewhere in KY or TN) might be a fun, out of the ordinary shindig for a show!

That's great. I was going to the do the same thing as a squirrel/shed hunting combo here. Look up or look down, eventually you'll see something :)

I'm pretty psyched about this. This year I started doing something similar in the wilderness areas in Arkansas. Ended up seeing 3 decent bucks but couldn't close on any of them (it's a work in progress for me). Most of what I've seen on the internet is out of a treestand. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm really trying to free myself of the confines of a climbing stand. Can't wait to see how you're doing it.

Looking forward to the show. I hunt a lot of public swamp here in West TN. Not exactly backcountry in the traditional sense but some of it is a two boat ride to get there. I love it like no other place and will always be more at home hunting a swamp than anywhere else. This year the bottoms were particularly beautiful. I could just sit and be happy, deer or no.

Here are a few public West TN deer. Not TV quality necessarily but decent for around here.

1124121034a.jpg

2012-11-2495090034.jpg

cellpics124.jpg

23948421-450D-46FF-B8CB-FDD302E3FDB2_zpsih8f5o4p.jpg

Last edited:
i had a successful backcountry hunt here in arkansas this season, but it was from a treestand. I'm wanting to do it off the ground this year. People don't realize that you can have a quality backcountry hunt in the east. really looking forward to this, would be a cool episode for fresh tracks to do also

Very nice! Brings back memories of all the time I spent in the big woods in Va. I sure miss the turn of the leaves in the fall and the sound of a deer walking in freshly fallen oak leaves.

Sounds like we have the volunteer state covered on here now. My family has been hunting public NF land here in east Tn since the 50's. It started with those original guys driving in, then with road closures and wilderness areas added it turned into a multi trip pack in. Sometimes there would be 25-30 guys all from our little town up there. Most of those men are passed on but there is still a small number of us that go up and share a campground. Those are my very fondest memories growing up. The west is beautiful, but the Appalachians are home and hard to beat when the leaves are turning.

That's great. I was going to the do the same thing as a squirrel/shed hunting combo here. Look up or look down, eventually you'll see something :)
I have a dog that I need to train to look for squirrels and sheds. Lol! Hope you can pull off a video of that late season rat/rack ;) trip.

Looking forward to the show. I hunt a lot of public swamp here in West TN. Not exactly backcountry in the traditional sense but some of it is a two boat ride to get there. I love it like no other place and will always be more at home hunting a swamp than anywhere else. This year the bottoms were particularly beautiful. I could just sit and be happy, deer or no.

Here are a few public West TN deer. Not TV quality necessarily but decent for around here.

1124121034a.jpg

2012-11-2495090034.jpg

cellpics124.jpg

23948421-450D-46FF-B8CB-FDD302E3FDB2_zpsih8f5o4p.jpg

Those ARE TV quality, especially since they are public land DIY. Good deer.

Any buck let alone any deer on public ground is a pure trophy. Mighty fine bucks right there!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back