Problems with Utah-Why should I avoid it as a place to live\hunt?

Utah History 101 - Mormon History - Current State of the State. Understanding history offers insight for today

First documented exploration was Father Escalante in 1776. He came as far as Utah Valley (Provo) during a trip from Santa Fe to California. Trappers 1820's-1830's; Jim Bridger, Peter Skene Ogden (Ogden namesake), Etienne Provost (Provo namesake), William Henry Ashley, John C. Fremont explored Utah and the Mountain West.

Mormon Church founded 1820's in New York, moved to Missouri in 1830's and left after Missouri - Executive Order 44 was issued that authorized "extermination of Mormons" and then Illinois around 1840. Joseph Smith founder and prophet was killed in 1844 by a mob. To escape continued persecution Brigham Young led the Mormons west in 1847. During the trip several hundred Mormon Men were recruited to serve the US Military during the Mexican War. The Mormons arrived in Utah July 1847 which at the time was still part of Mexico. They literally left the United States to find peace and built a community for themselves.

Mormons envisioned founding the state (not nation) of Deseret in 1849. Continental Divide to Pacific, Oregon to Mexico. Mormons began settling these areas of the west in the ensuing decades. The US government would not allow Utah statehood until 1896 due to Polygamy and most of these lands became part of other states.
deseret.png

Continued conflicts and isolation through the 1800's; Utah War 1857-1858 when US troops marched on Utah; with the low point being Mountain Meadows Massacre in 1857. After statehood in 1896; Utah evolved with two distinct groups; Mormons and Gentiles (non-Mormons) with both groups living separate. Early 1900's Utah was a hotbed of labor strife in the mines; coal, copper, silver, gold. Areas around Park City, Bingham Canyon and central Utah coal country where majority non-Mormon with high percentage of immigrant populations.

During 1940's - 1950's Southern Utah was subjected to Nuclear Fallout from testing in Nevada. Government denied threat and fought compensation for decades. Most families around St. George can tell you family members lost to cancer in the ensuing years.

Utah today like many states is red (conservative) with islands of blue (progressive). Salt Lake City, Park City, Ogden, Moab are predominantly non Mormon. Salt Lake City is one of the most progressive cities in the United States. Politics are 50%+1 so our elected offices are primarily conservative and the state is pro business, pro family, and pro active. Economy is diverse and strong, quality of life is excellent, infrastructure roads-rail is modern and growing.

Now let's discuss the so called elephant; the LDS Church. Yes there are individual members of the church which are insular and I've seen those people first hand. These are individuals and not the LDS Church. The church has numerous outreach programs and promotes being good neighbors to all including refugees who are settled in Utah. Yes you may encounter people or groups of people who seem reluctant to say hello and my response to that is go meet them. I live in the burbs which is 90% Mormon and I'm not; being proactive in meeting people and finding something in common; kids, dogs, cars, hobbies, gardening, etc, etc builds relationships.

What I can attest is the day crap hits the fan; I want to be in Utah. When fire, flood or any other problem happens the Mormons immediately respond with help to all; not just members of the church. This community ethos is why Utah has a Beehive on the state flag and why Utah is able to plan and respond to any challenge. 2002 Olympics was a success by any measure; financial, US pride following 9/11, logistics and performance. Hopefully we'll get another shot in 2026 if LA is not selected to host 2024 summer games.

Utah was founded by self reliant people with strong sense of community and demonstrated ability to get things done. During the last government shutdown Utah paid to reopen the National Parks to minimize impact on those rural communities and to welcome visitors to our state. Very pragmatic approach with emphasis on solution in the most efficient and expeditious manner.

Great state and you should definitely consider becoming a resident.

Regarding hunting. Too damn many people. The CWMU program has opened large areas of private land to public hunters through the limited entry draw and with value of wildlife you don't hear about ranchers wanting elk herds eliminated like you did years ago. Personally I would like to see changes with the limited draw units; make people pay upfront for the tag cost, eliminate turn back option, increase cost of resident tags/permits, eliminate SFW Expo tags and put them back into drawing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived there for many years and hunted for 10. I did not find the hunting to be great but it was okay. They have something right when it comes to Elk but I was not impressed with the rest. Its been 10 years since I have been back to hunt so my opinion may be outdated. Regardless of your outdoor activity be prepared to share it with lots of people. They do have some beautiful scenery/places for sure. Their assault on public lands is sad and sickening to me. No matter what you will notice the influence of the church, good or bad. I am a member so I never experienced the "outsider" point of view but it exists.

I will never return to live there, never. But it is a Western state with plenty of public ground (for now). I would take any of the states you mention in your profile over Utah but Utah would be my fifth choice of state to live in so that says something.

Last edited:
To the OP's question. I would never want to live in Utah for many of the same stated reasons above. There is a reason that many Utahns head to southern Idaho and Wyoming to hunt. They can't draw tags in their own state. Utah long ago decided to make wildlife a business proposition at the expense of hunting opportunity. That said they do produce some big bucks and bulls so I guess it comes down to what you want more. I'm an opportunity guy so I stay away from Utah.

I would cross Colorado off your list as well. No other western state has commercialized hunting like Colorado as. Tags (deer) are getting harder to obtain, seasons are very short and very crowded. I work at Peterson AFB, and Mountain Home or Malmstrom are on my dream list to transfer to

I would cross Colorado off your list as well. No other western state has commercialized hunting like Colorado as. Tags (deer) are getting harder to obtain, seasons are very short and very crowded. I work at Peterson AFB, and Mountain Home or Malmstrom are on my dream list to transfer to

Agreed. It's a clown show.

I lived in Utah in 2007 and it is definitely low on my list of states I would want to call home. It would pretty much be last on the list of Rocky mountain states I would call home, AZ and NM included. However, that being said, I would take Utah over any of the West coast states, plains or backs east. I gotta have my mountains, and Utah's has some pretty epic places.

To the OP, are you looking to relocate?

Utah is the armpit of the western states. Please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT move to Utah. Tell all your friends as well. We have absolutely nothing to offer. Nothing to see here, Keep moving along.

Randy,

The really sad part about that article is that the money is already going to BGF. It's like the expo deal. RMEF never had a shot. The decision was made before the proposals were even sent in. Same with this one. BGF is already counting the money. There will be a small dog and pony show about what they are getting for 2 Mil but as long as they send their campaign contributions and have their temple recommend cards...they will get the money. The backroom deals in Utah are not only destroying their state but the cancer is trying to spread to sourounding states/federal land.

I grew up in Utah and probably the thing that I miss the most is the bird hunting.

The Great Salt Lake is the best spot I have lived to chase ducks. I still go back a few times of year to chase ducks. I have taken 14 different species of ducks in the GSL area (Cinnamon Teal, Green Wing Teal, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, Widgeon, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Ringneck, Bluebill, Canvasback, Redhead, Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Common Merganser) and seen two others that I could obtain (Hooded Merganser and Wood Duck). It is truly a mixed bag duck hunting state.

Swan tags can be drawn every 3 or so years.

Geese are to be had.

Forever chukar seasons with good number of the devil birds.

Forest Grouse are plentiful, Pheasants are released on public grounds, Ptarmigan are present in the Unitas, Hungarian Partridge are present, Sharptail and Sage Grouse are to be had as well.

Lots of good bird hunting to be had in Utah.

Fishing can be good, but isn't as good as Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado & Montana.

Big game hunting in Utah is tough for those starting out.

General Elk Tags can be a sea of an orange army and it may take years to figure it out. Those that figure it out stop putting in for limited elk, because they get an elk a year on the general tag. General spike tags can be frustrating, because you will see big bulls that you cannot shoot. The limited elk tags are great, but can take years to draw.

General Deer Tags are fun hunts and used to be the time we would get the family together and set up camp. However, the demand for the hunts is higher now and the draw odds reflect it. You can wait multiple years before hunting deer. The ML hunts are better in my opinion especially since you can use high powered scopes now.

Archery hunts - You do not get to hunt elk during the rut with a bow, but they have extended seasons along the Wasatch front that can be a lot of work and really rewarding. You can also get archery deer tags almost every year along the front. The winter this year may be an exception.

Bear/Cougar Hunts - These are draw tags with some harvest objective hunts. I haven't drawn bear, but I have seen them around.

OIL hunts - Just like everywhere it is all about getting lucky and drawing a tag.

In recap, The best thing to hunt in Utah is ducks and if you are looking to hunt big game plan on a lot of work or applying and hunting in other states.

I think everyone learned backdoor good ole boy glad handing in NM and the surrounding states were part of it. 1700 or so...lol

Last edited:
Benson has been awarded $5 million since 2011, but he has yet to divulge any details about how BGF spends this money in its reports to the Legislature.

"I have questions whether we have seen progress based on the investments we made. We have no way of knowing how this significant investment has been used," said Rep. Timothy Hawkes, R-Centerville.

Isn't this just business as usual in UT?

NM is a foreign land. Need a passport to travel. People speak several languages. It's real old for new.
Nothing here,move along.

I lived in Utah in 2007 and it is definitely low on my list of states I would want to call home. It would pretty much be last on the list of Rocky mountain states I would call home, AZ and NM included. However, that being said, I would take Utah over any of the West coast states, plains or backs east. I gotta have my mountains, and Utah's has some pretty epic places.

To the OP, are you looking to relocate?

I have rooughly 18 months before I move back stateside but my line of work dictates I start working these types of angles now if I want to go where I would like.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back