MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

aoudad/Barbary west texas

That is a cool-looking group of Barbarys! They like some seriously rough stuff. I never hunted them when I lived in NM, but wish now that I had when I was young and capable!

After climbing after and then me missing the biggest ram we saw at 250 yards with a perfect set up, we relocated the sheep a mile or so away and my brother made a great shot on the big guy. Coolest thing we saw on the trip was the Number 2 ram in the group and 2nd largest seen all week immediately and viciously attacking the downed ram who was doing his best to lay down and die.

From our perspective the ram my brother killed rolled into a shallow ravine out of sight and the Number 2 still hot on his butt repeated hooking and butting him. The other 25 or so aoudad had headed for the next county but the Number 2 was apparently exacting his revenge and mollifying his long frustation upon seeing the "King" showing vulnerability. This lasted at least 10 minutes, probably more.

After waiting a few minutes I realized I was looking a gift horse in the mouth and suggested we get on up to my brothers ram (out of view) and see if I might get a close shot at the 2nd largest ram we had seen in 3 days of glassing miles and miles of terrain. We knew that other ram was still in with the now likely very dead ram as he could not leave the area without us seeing him.

I shot this ram at 40 yards. He was so busy whipping my brothers dead ram's butt he never saw us sneak right up to him with practically no cover other than him being in the 5 foot? depression of the shallow ravive. All we we could see was a thorny bush whipping back and forth from "my" ram getting in his licks but could see neither ram even though we were for sure right on top of them 30 or so yards away. I think 'my' ram heard us whispering and pondering what to do and he popped out of the ravine 40 yards away and stood there looking at us. He was smeared in my brother's rams blood across his chest and side. Quite a sight!!!

While we knew it could not be my brothers ram standing there, while looking at him through the rifle scope I hesitated cause I did not want to be putting a finishing shot on my brothers ram. Seeing no blood on this ram's nose that we had clearly seen on the 'dead' ram after my brother's shot as the assurance this was the Number 2 ram, I made the easy 40 yard shot wih the rifle from a standing position with the rifle resting on a tripod. Bang. Flop. Text book kill like we all want to see.

Super cool that my brother was adamant about me killing the larger sheep and put me in position to do just that 3 days in a row but he ended up getting it. Totally thrilled with the outcome and another great hunt with my brother. (he joined me and was instrumental to my success for 8 days of my 2016 WY elk hunt).

We had grilled Aoudad loin that night and it was GOOD tasting. Although very tough, akin to Rocky Mountain Goat. Have heard many people say aoudad tastes terrible. No so based on what we just ate.

About to fly out of El Paso and should get home about midnight. Next up are pictures of my brother's big ram and a pic of both side by side since they dropped within 15 yards of each other 20 minutes apart. A rare brother brother double! Such an awesome hunt. I would travel to hunt these wiley critters anytime.IMG_1216.jpg

Last edited:
My brother sizing up one of the 15? or so unique groups of Aoudad we spotted during the trip.

Our fourth and final hunt day was a bonus since we had tagged out but we hunted hard looking for even bigger rams. When it was all said and done we killed the two largest rams we saw, so that was a great outcome.IMG_6012.jpg

Last edited:
I just like this picture of skylined Aoudad. We saw that view a lot given they headed for the next mountain anytime they spotted usIMG_5932.jpg

Last edited:
The perfect aoudad habitat based on what we learned on this hunt. they stack up on the cliffs or just at the baes of cliffs, ready to bolt up on the ricks and over this hill at first sign of danger.

There are Aoudad in this pic!IMG_1635.jpg

Last edited:
My brother's Aoudad ram, killed 15 or so minutes before mine. More mass and the same horn length as my ram. Think we aged his at 9-10 years old and mine at 8.

Great looking Aoudad and obviously a fighter with all the scars and beat up horns. As noted before I missed this ram some hours and a mile plus away at a range of 250 yards....Very happybthat my brother got the bigger ram. He made all the arrangements and olans for the hunt and I was thrilled to join him. A hefty challenge in crazy windy weather but we pulled it off.IMG_1226.jpg

Last edited:
We had to do a picture of both rams toghether somce they fell maybe 15 yards apart! :cool:

Recall from the story of my ram I posted 5 or so posts back... after my brother shot his and the ram went out of sight into a shallow draw in plain view on a hillside with "my" ram trying kicking his butt and oblivious to us stalking right in with no cover other than a few bushes the rams were behind....we stalked into 30 yards to find 'my' ram still pounding on the now dead ram and I killed my ram at 40 yards and only 15 yards from my brothers ram. The whole sequence was unexpected and super cool to be a part of.IMG_1228.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. That last photo is awesome, and you guys will remember that hunt when you're too old to climb the mountains anymore.

You would have a hard time finding two rams that impressive taken on the same hunt. Impressive!!!

My best recollection of Barbary hunting was they were running, ALWAYS.

The brothers did very well.

Barbary's must hold a helluva grudge...interesting behavior. Looks like you two took out the head honchos.

Well done.

BOOM....The king is dead, long live the king.........whack whack whack.......
......slight scuffling noise of Khunter moving in........BOOM......
the new king is dead, long live another king.....
Congratulations

It looks like you guys did this unguided. Just curious how much a hunt like this costs. Looks like an awesome adventure.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back