Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

aoudad/Barbary west texas

Khunter

On a fun hunt for Aoudad in Davis Mountains area of Texas. These critters are toygh to get up on! They see you from half a mile aways and off they go headed for the next county. Had heard of a few elk running around west Texas and sure enough have spotted some. pretty neat bonus for an elkaholic on an exotic hunt.IMG_0898.jpg

Last edited:
I have only hunted Aoudad once and was in canyons connected by mesas. Not much wind on that hunt. I would approach the edge of the canyon and glass the opposite side. Aoudad seemed to like being below a cliff and in the shade. I would glass, step a bit closer to the edge, glass, etc. This ambush approach had success. Spotting and stalking on the flats was a futile effort.

I have hunted Barbary a few times. Successful on a ewe. Never could get the big ram. Hardest hunt I have had,

Congratulations on some hard earned animals!

After the leap. just missed mid air photo. Dudes have suction cups on their feet. Jumpers.IMG_5892.jpg

Last edited:
we found a lot of different groups of sheep, some ram bachelor groups, some mixed, and some ewes and lambs only.IMG_1144.jpgIMG_1143.jpg

Last edited:
typical weather during the hunt. literally 70 mph winds on ridge tops. in one case it precluded even taking a shot that was very makeable so we watched a herd with a shooter bail off "our" mountain and head for another mountain.

picture of me climbing for this group of Aoudad. I missed a very makeable 250 yards shot on the big ram in the group. we hiked up and down about 4 miles of steep, rocky and lechugia cactus infested terrain after my brother spotted the group from about 2 miles with 10x binos. an amazing spotting job for sure. That was the 3rd time we put a sneak on this big band of critters.....And there would be a fourth and final stalk late on day 3 of the hunt. Actually five stalks is what it took to fill both my brother and then my tag.IMG_1211.jpgIMG_1215.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back