Which WY Sheep Area?

Carl 9.3x62

Hey folks, I'm in need of some advice about where and when to go sheep hunting. This is my situation: I am a WY resident with 19 preference points going into the sheep draw this year. I can't afford an outfitter so will be hunting with friends and family. I am not a horse person, though might be able to wrangle up some people who are, and who have horses. I don't have a whole lot of experience backpacking in the back country, especially backpack hunting. I'm thinking it would be a blast to pack in for a week or so, but am also thinking of day hunt possibilitis. Ideally I'd have someone pack my camp in on horses if I could afford it. I don't need to kill a BC ram for sure, I'd be happy with just about anything actually. I'm 31 years old and am in decent shape, but no where near sheep shape. That will hopefully come if I draw a tag. Because I have 19 points I am looking at hunt areas 1-4, which are all a guaranteed draw except area 2. Looking on Google Earth there looks to be plenty of places to pack into on foot and hunt, and possibly even make day trip hunts. So, my questions are of those four areas, which would be a better option for me? And should I burn my points as soon as I can, or is it worth holding out until I can draw a better area? I'm leaning toward drawing a tag sooner than not as I don't want to wait until I'm too old to go, I don't know how long I'll be in living in wyoming and I'm just itching to go sheep hunting. Anyways, thanks for any advice!

I Would look at area 4, also if you have the ability, with time off and such I would think the sooner the better on a sheep hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back