2017 Montana Deer and Elk Permits - I'm in!

Pondera

Got my resident deer/elk permit applications submitted! Also first time for my son to be able to apply @ 12 years old. Just got done reading some recent HT treads about points systems, makes me want to apply even though I don't hunt goat/sheep it sure would be nice to have that opportunity for him later in life.

I spent around $200 for the both of us but that included upland bird and fishing.

Edit: I should mention that we currently are rifle hunters only right now. Archery definitely gives some unique opportunities and a different experience. We target shoot bows casually but until we have the proper skills and equipment or my son has that level of interest we will continue to perfect our rifle hunting technique.

We applied in a few areas with pretty low odds but I'm not willing/able to drive 6 hours one way to hunt. As my son gets older and if he has interest we will go for those for sure. Right now we both only have the stamina to be weekend warriors!

We are also fortunate to have some really great general season opportunities around here as well. (North Central Montana)

Hunting regulations and special drawings applications used to scare me off a little from hunting those units with complicated rules and access but now I realize those challenges to be a integral part of the hunt. Montana's application packet does give some really good info and draw stats. I feel like MTFWP is trying harder then ever to help the hunter find and utilize public land opportunities. Also the free interactive hunt planner map works really well for this. I also use onXmaps as well for pre season planning and in season. The desktop version is really handy!

Good luck to my fellow Montana hunters on your permit process!

Practice with that bow! You live in the heart of otc or easy to get tags for archery elk.

When it comes to elk, do I have to put in for a specific unit and am I limited to hunting that unit only? Or, am I able to hunt any general elk unit? When it comes to Deer, I understand that I put in for a region and I can hunt anywhere in that region not just a specific unit within that region? Or, can I hunt anywhere in the state that's a general tag?

Lastly, if I put in for a unit like 410 and don't draw for elk but I do draw for a different unit, do I earn a bonus point because I didn't get my first choice? Thanks

For deer, if you pick a district to hunt mule deer in, you can only hunt antlered mule deer in that district. If you don't specify a district for mule deer and just use a general tag, you can hunt antlered mule deer in any unit that says you can with a general deer license. And for elk, I believe if you draw a permit for elk in a certain district you are limited to that district (at least that is how I treated my permit for 339 I drew 5 years ago).

@Pondera I wouldn't hesitate to put your son if for Moose/sheep/goat tags. If he draws great. If not, he will be far ahead of his age group when the time comes.

I jumped in with both feet also, $1,066.77 hit on my tax return. I am always amazed at how fast that puppy gets spent. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
I am trying to apply but keep getting an error telling me that deer and elk are not available. I have purchased all my licenses. I tried calling the help number with no answer. Anybody else having trouble?

Attachments

• elk2017.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 41
For deer, if you pick a district to hunt mule deer in, you can only hunt antlered mule deer in that district. If you don't specify a district for mule deer and just use a general tag, you can hunt antlered mule deer in any unit that says you can with a general deer license. And for elk, I believe if you draw a permit for elk in a certain district you are limited to that district (at least that is how I treated my permit for 339 I drew 5 years ago).

You're correct for deer. But this is what the regs say for elk:

"Elk permits may be for antlered or antlerless elk. In most instances, holding an antlerless elk permit prohibits harvesting an antlered elk in the same hunting district. Permit holders are not restricted to hunting elk in another hunting district, provided they still hold a valid General Elk License."

Thank you Brendan. I wasn't positive about that one but like i said thats how I treated my permit a few years ago because it was for a pretty good area and why shoot a rag horn when there is a good chance for much bigger!

I am trying to apply but keep getting an error telling me that deer and elk are not available. I have purchased all my licenses. I tried calling the help number with no answer. Anybody else having trouble?

No trouble when I did mine but try calling the licencing dept. directly. I have always gotten through or a call back the next day. Even their emails get answered quickly. Your profile shows Helena - just go down there and they will help ya out!

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
1420 East Sixth Avenue
P.O. Box 200701
Helena, MT 59620-0701

Phone: (406) 444-2535
Fax: (406) 444-4952
E-mail: [email protected]

Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Directors Office(406) 444-3186
Human Resources (406) 444-5653
Commission (406) 444-7826
Licensing (406) 444-2950

What's the difference between preference point and bonus point when applying for MT Big Game Combo draw? If I apply for unit 680 as my first choice and don't get drawn, do I then list a specific general unit as my 2nd choice?

What's the difference between preference point and bonus point when applying for MT Big Game Combo draw? If I apply for unit 680 as my first choice and don't get drawn, do I then list a specific general unit as my 2nd choice?

Pref point is only for the big game combo and u don't need that cuz it's been 100% draw so don't buy that . The bonus point is for the permit , if u want a better chance at the permit next year then buy the bonus point everyone that apply for permit does . Only list the special permit area codes u want to apply for don't list any general area , if u don't get a permit you will just end up with gen tag which is statewide , except the special permit areas but check regs cuz some special permit areas you might be able to hunt cows on the gen tag it's very specific by hunting district check the regs

If you apply for 680 first choice and don't draw they move to your second choice and if it is a limited permit area and there are any felt you then have a chance to draw the second choice. Rarely happens so I usually jsut do a first choice and throw some stuff in for second choice.

Pref point is only for the big game combo and u don't need that cuz it's been 100% draw so don't buy that . The bonus point is for the permit , if u want a better chance at the permit next year then buy the bonus point everyone that apply for permit does . Only list the special permit area codes u want to apply for don't list any general area , if u don't get a permit you will just end up with gen tag which is statewide , except the special permit areas but check regs cuz some special permit areas you might be able to hunt cows on the gen tag it's very specific by hunting district check the regs

Huge help! Thanks! I think I now have a plan.

If you apply for 680 first choice and don't draw they move to your second choice and if it is a limited permit area and there are any felt you then have a chance to draw the second choice. Rarely happens so I usually jsut do a first choice and throw some stuff in for second choice.

Thanks.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back