CO 71 or 77/78 advice

lifesupport4u

Anyone who can pass on advice about 71 or 77/78 would be helpful. Don't want to infringe on anyone's honey hole but trying to find a new unit for next year.

PM me if you'd like.

I am trying to figure out what area to hunt, where to camp and would like to get away from the crowds.

Any help is much appreciated.

Went to unit 71 for second rifle last year. Lots of people and nobody was seeing elk.

I've hunted OTC most of my life in Colorado. Tried 71 last year and there were more people than pretty much any place I'd ever been. The wilderness isn't really that deep so getting away from roads/people is tough there. I've heard there's some good bulls though, but I never saw anything very big.

I hunted sheep in unit 78 for the first fifteen days in September some years ago. I met two archers at about the 9000ft level. They had backpacked in and were not having much luck. I was above timberline +12000 ft and found lots of elk including some 6 pointers but was looking for sheep in the avalanche chutes not elk. I did take a nice ram (3/4 curl, 160pt) but never saw the archers again. It started raining the second day afternoon and was the wettest hunt I've ever been on. The San Juan was over its banks into the trail when I rode out. Hope this helps some. GJ

Last edited:
Hey, I live on the the east side of Bolum pass and hunt over in 71 every other year or so when I draw an archery deer tag. Deer and elk don't seem to mingle so much in the upper Dolores River headwaters cause the OTC elk hunters push the elk deep and the deer are less frightened since they aren't hunted as hard. There are some decent genetics for deer especially on the 71/74 border, but they are not as good as they used to be. There are some good ones though. Wiley Buggers too.
There are some good public land bulls in the central to northern end of 71, east or west. But, you gotta be willing to go deep from the beginning of the hunt. 3-4 miles off a road. South end is a little less elevation and more sparse. Better for late season hunts. Better visibility/easier pack outs.
Just get away from the road. But, please don't drive your side X side offroad. Lifesupport4u, I'm not saying you are that kind of guy, it's just that we have a BIG problem with that here. Besides destroying habitat that is very delicate, they also destroy any surprise factor that an opening morning/season can have. And I just want to be clear, I have witnessed this multiple times/multiple years when I have been hunting myself or tagging along with friends. Blows animals out for miles. I understand that we have a different way of looking at things out here compared to elsewhere. So, I don't want to turn anyone in to the game warden unless they are "really asking" me to. I'm just trying to educate a little bit and hopefully pass on some knowledge about the area that will keep the hunting great.
Saying all that, get away from the road and you will leave that all behind, in turn having a more true experience of southwestern Colorado. Spend enough time here and you will find your own honey hole. There are some good ones.
Feel free to ask any more questions if you want.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back