Idaho Spring Black Bear Hunting for Dummies

Still not sure if this for dummies thread is intended to dupe people into an argument or if the title is missing an r.

I won't get in the pissing match because I don't have anything to add but as a guy heading to Idaho in a few months for the first time DYI spring bear hunt it's a shame this thread couldn't be more beneficial.
I was feeling pretty good about the spot and stalk approach but seems like most people and the stats support it that bait is way more productive.

My plan at this point is to set up a half assed bait (syrup and popcorn, easy to haul as an out of state guy) and hope a bear or two come in while I focus on spot and stalk. Hell Im even taking a ecaller to give a shot with. Hopefully I can find a bear or one finds me...

I won't get in the pissing match because I don't have anything to add but as a guy heading to Idaho in a few months for the first time DYI spring bear hunt it's a shame this thread couldn't be more beneficial.
I was feeling pretty good about the spot and stalk approach but seems like most people and the stats support it that bait is way more productive.

My plan at this point is to set up a half assed bait (syrup and popcorn, easy to haul as an out of state guy) and hope a bear or two come in while I focus on spot and stalk. Hell Im even taking a ecaller to give a shot with. Hopefully I can find a bear or one finds me...

I think you can still be productive doing a spot and stalk. Like anything else sometimes a little luck helps, making sure you don't zig when the bear zags. I like the idea of throwing some easy bait out and then going out hunting. May take a few days to get some action but why not give it a try and see what happens.

This is where I can't offer anything since I've never run a bait before. Do you have to have a bait location registered in Idaho or labeled with your information?

I think you can still be productive doing a spot and stalk. Like anything else sometimes a little luck helps, making sure you don't zig when the bear zags. I like the idea of throwing some easy bait out and then going out hunting. May take a few days to get some action but why not give it a try and see what happens.

This is where I can't offer anything since I've never run a bait before. Do you have to have a bait location registered in Idaho or labeled with your information?
Yeah, you have to have a baiting Permit which is a little zip tie looking thing you attach to the bait or near it. Also don't get discouraged about coming here to do a bear hunt you can be successful doing spot and stalk as well as bait, not a bad idea to throw a quick bait out either I would suggest doing a honey burn as well to see if you can stir up some quick activity.

I've started baiting the past few years on April 15th, when the season starts. I've unfortunately made the mistake of thinking I needed to leave the site alone for a week or two to let it establish itself. My trailcam photos told me otherwise. Don't be discouraged with having a limited amount of time to bait. If the bears are up...they will find it quickly, easily within a day or two. Also be aware of hound hunters...they will screw you on a bait site quicker than anything. I bait where it is steep...that keeps those folks out of my area, nobody wants to chase their hounds in steep country when they can do it where it's flatter and still be successful.

I second what brymoore, JoseCuervo, Steelhead and HUNTNNW said.

Baiting is very effective in Unit 39.
Morning glassing is still effective, not as much action as evening but still plenty worth it.
Their home ranges are 8-10 miles at the most.

2016 SW Idaho bears. Note the times. Don't write off any part of the day!View attachment 68190View attachment 68191View attachment 68192View attachment 68193View attachment 68194View attachment 68195
Great photos, photos that generally validate my recommendations . I'm generally in position by 3:30 p.m.. And the
water sources corroborate my recommendations on the types of terrain to hunt. However, look carefully at the condition of the hide of the bear in photo number 4. Note the 'bald spots' and the thickness of the fur around the neck. It's noticeable around the rump as well. This animal appears to be suffering from mange, a parasitic skin condition which can be transmitted to humans. Hunting spring bears early in the season allows you a better opportunity for compaison and evalution of the condition of pelts and may give an indication of the health of the animal as well.

Any thoughts on hunting a boar from his den area besides just hunting the general area?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back