Utah's public land stance vs Outdoor Retailer Show

Let’s commit ourselves to keeping it public. The best way to do that, and to ensure that it is sustainably and responsibly managed, is to keep management of these critical big-game lands under federal oversight where it makes sense and to be very, very careful about the implications of changing that management.

But boycott? Hell, no. The best way to change a system is to work from within. So let’s celebrate our big-game resources this week, but let’s also cherish and support the places where these critters live, and where we get to pursue them.

Don't need a national monument for sustainability and responsible management. Agreed keep it public with multiple use management and repeal the monument.

Don't need a national monument for sustainability and responsible management. Agreed keep it public with multiple use management and repeal the monument.
You do realize that monument designation and multiple use management are not mutually exclusive, right?

You don't really believe established management practices; controlled burns, chaining, seeding, water development, predator control, etc, etc aren't affected when public land is designated monument. Much of Southern Utah is marginal wildlife habitat without some develop and help from man.

Hopefully the Rainbow Family will visit soon. They are low impact on mother earth

Much of Southern Utah is marginal wildlife habitat without some develop and help from man.

Yeah, let's plow it, seed it, water it and turn loose some herds of . . . wait, what would be some good "wildlife" to turn loose in our man-made habitat?

On the other hand, we could realize that all of the land you talk about is pretty good wildlife habitat right now, for the wildlife that are adapted and indigenous to it. To the extent it's not, it's because man ruined it. Just because we don't hunt lizards doesn't mean they aren't wildlife.

You don't really believe established management practices; controlled burns, chaining, seeding, water development, predator control, etc, etc aren't affected when public land is designated monument. Much of Southern Utah is marginal wildlife habitat without some develop and help from man.

Hopefully the Rainbow Family will visit soon. They are low impact on mother earth
You're putting words in my mouth. Never said that designation didn't have an impact. Just stated that multiple use and monument designation are not mutually exclusive. FWIW, GSENM got the go ahead to chain green juniper trees much easier than the lands in No. Utah. In fact, for good number of the practices you mention, I'd bet that the GSENM got a disproportionate amount of funding for those practices on an acreage basis. I do know that they had more range managers on staff than offices that were responsible for multiples of the number of acres...

You're putting words in my mouth. Never said that designation didn't have an impact. Just stated that multiple use and monument designation are not mutually exclusive. FWIW, GSENM got the go ahead to chain green juniper trees much easier than the lands in No. Utah. In fact, for good number of the practices you mention, I'd bet that the GSENM got a disproportionate amount of funding for those practices on an acreage basis. I do know that they had more range managers on staff than offices that were responsible for multiples of the number of acres...

Agreed I go to GSENM every year to look at deer and they have done some pretty massive juniper chaining's in the area, and actually within a year ago the BLM was considering allowing a lot more chaining to occur in the coming years. The Grand Staircase is an amazing place and I don't want to see it shrunk at all, the area is good for wildlife protected as it is. This pushback from the Outdoor Industry is a huge help on the land transfer issue as well, and I hope they make it a big part of their meeting on Thursday. Utah is basically letting $50 million a year walk out the door for 2 toothless resolutions that will cost real jobs and may have no real affect. There is not even a surety whether a monument can be reversed and they are going to cost people real jobs over a point they are trying to make. I would be fine with shrinking Bears Ears. GSENM has been a monument for 20 years and access didn't change leave it alone. Instead of worrying about the small difference we have with these people we should embrace them on the things we agree on and fight like hell with them to stop the transfer of public land.

Last edited:
By the way make sure we all support Under Armour. They have a clear position of support for hunting and conservation. http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/PressRoom/NewsReleases/RMEFLaunchesHuntingIsConservation.aspx

And now Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank just bought a full page ad in his local paper denouncing Trump.....

What is a red-blooded American to do???

Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank on Wednesday published a full-page ad in his hometown newspaper, The Baltimore Sun, that walked back his previous comments praising President Trump.

The ad, which states the company is "publicly opposing the travel ban," appeared to be in response to comments Plank made earlier this month on CNBC, calling Trump "an asset to the country" and a "pro-business president."

"In a business television interview last week, I answered a question with a choice of words that did not accurately reflect my intent," the ad, addressed to Baltimore, reads. "I want to clarify to our hometown exactly the values for which Under Armour and I stand."
While the letter never directly mentions Trump, it says the company stands for equal rights, praises immigration as a "source of strength, diversity and innovation," and comes out against Trump's executive order on immigration and refugees.

"I personally believe that immigration is the foundation of our country's exceptionalism," Plank wrote.

Oak, I keep sending emails to Gov. Hick encouraging him to recruit the unhappy outdoor businesses in UT to relocate and live it UP in CO. This is a golden and green opportunity. And if business start defecting from UT, their legislature will have to answer for that to voters.

Looks like Colorado is making a good sales pitch, I hope the OR show leaves UT; maybe the economic hits will actually get the states attention.

And, Boom goes the Dynamite......

After an unproductive meeting between Gov. Gary Herbert and outdoor recreation business representatives, industry leaders say they hope to find a new location for the Outdoor Retailer shows "as soon as possible."

"Unfortunately, what we heard from Governor Herbert was more of the same," according to a written statement by the Outdoor Industry Association (OIA), which has close ties to the massive, twice-yearly shows in Salt Lake City.

"It is clear that the Governor indeed has a different perspective on the protections of public lands from that of our members and the majority of Western state voters, both Republicans and Democrats — that's bad for our American heritage, and it's bad for our businesses. We are therefore continuing our search for a new home as soon as possible."

The show's owner, Emerald Expositions, said in a news release that it would not include Utah in its request for proposals from cities hoping to host the trade shows, which they say bring about 40,000 visitors and $45 million to Salt Lake City each year.

That's the best news I've heard all day...looks like Herbie doubled down on stupid. As if that's a shock.

Glad the business owners are sticking to their guns. I wish the governor would have switched his stance, but I didn't expected it.

Outdoor Retailer convention leaving Utah

The Outdoor Retailer show is leaving Salt Lake City.

After an unproductive meeting between Gov. Gary Herbert and outdoor recreation business representatives, industry leaders say they hope to find a new location for the Outdoor Retailer shows "as soon as possible."

"Unfortunately, what we heard from Governor Herbert was more of the same," according to a written statement by the Outdoor Industry Association (OIA), which has close ties to the massive, twice-yearly shows in Salt Lake City.

"It is clear that the Governor indeed has a different perspective on the protections of public lands from that of our members and the majority of Western state voters, both Republicans and Democrats — that's bad for our American heritage, and it's bad for our businesses. We are therefore continuing our search for a new home as soon as possible."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back