Utah's public land stance vs Outdoor Retailer Show

Last edited:
A little off-topic but posted nonetheless:

Sierra Club is full of hunters. I used to be a member (quit for reasons unrelated to the issues here). I also know a Buffalo Field Campaign guy who wants bison treated like elk, with huntable, sustainable populations throughout their native range.

I think the green environmental community has a lot of hunters in their ranks. They are just "elitists" who want an arm's length of distance between them and those they perceive as sign-shooting, coal-rolling, muscle-truck-driving, quad-racing, snow-machine-riding, skull-crushing, dog-running, 50-bmg-sniping, spring mamma killers. They may be wrong in their perceptions but they don't always join what some of us think of as standard hunting groups for those reasons.

Also, most of the one's I've met hunt solo and they don't wear it on their sleeve at conventions and meetings. It's often only after a few cocktails (or yes, even a beer, believe it or not) around a fire that the hunting comes out. It's not shame or fear, just personal, like relationships. A big tent doesn't always sit well with loners. Doesn't mean they aren't out there hunting and supporting public lands in their own way.

Anywho, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Sierra Club is full of hunters.
...the green environmental community has a lot of hunters in their ranks.
....Buffalo Field Campaign guy who wants bison treated like elk, with huntable, sustainable populations throughout their native range.

Truth exists on all three accounts. The kinda stuff some don't wanna hear. No I don't belong to SC not BFC, don't mind being lumped in the green environmental community. I'm kinda Christmassy.
Green with a lotta critter blood red.

Don't really think this is off topic.....

There is a discussion about Patagonia over on the eastmans forum. Similar sentiment that they are anti-hunting. I researched for quite some time and really couldn't find anything concrete. They officially do not take a stand on hunting. Their founder supports hunting. They were against a buffalo hunt near yellowstone and offered to pay for permits if someone won a tag and didn't use it. They claim it was the nature of the hunt, said it was a "canned" hunt. Some say they have a cozy relationship with HSUS. Others claim they donate to Defenders of Wildlife. They did take a stand in support of wolf reintroduction.

I do know this. There are clothing companies such as Sitka that have a strong track record of supporting public lands and hunting. I'll buy from these companies before buying from an unknown entity.

It's the mindset of, "They don't think like me, so I'm going to complain about them even when they are on my side" that makes it so hard to have a bigger community of activists for public lands. I don't care who they are, if they are a public land advocate, good for all of us.

Some have made similar isolating comments against me as a hunter when I have been interviewed on left-of-center platforms and my bio was a hunter and public land advocate. Was nice to see that many in their community shouted down the isolationists who complained that I was not a worthy public land advocate because I use public lands for a different reason.

I would strongly suggest that hunters look at all these companies and groups as public land advocates, which at this time and given the strength and position of the anti-public landers, we should welcome the value these companies and groups bring to the cause.

There is no doubt that some of the green groups are against some types of hunting (using dogs, spring bear, trapping, etc.).

Some of them do, in fact, have biologists and other natural science professionals in their ranks they use to justify their positions. Some of these scientists are current or former government scientists. Most traditional hunting groups rely upon government scientists and don't hire their own (some do, I know). I'm not taking sides on this one; just pointing out some distinctions. If you are big tent, then you might want to not buy thier jackets, but that doesn't mean they are not hunters. I'm sure most hunting groups would frown on using F-35s.

In any event, they may not be big tent, but if you are, you might want to let them in even if you wouldn't like the F-35 crowd.

Last edited:
Pataguchi is doing a helluva lot for public land hunters by starting the move out of Utah trend in the OR industry. I like their clothing and message, and the 1% For The Planet is a great idea that I wish the rest of corporate America would follow. Now if I could just afford more of their stuff...

Pataguchi is doing a helluva lot for public land hunters by starting the move out of Utah trend in the OR industry. I like their clothing and message, and the 1% For The Planet is a great idea that I wish the rest of corporate America would follow. Now if I could just afford more of their stuff...

I'm pretty sure there's 2 c's.......

I stand corrected - Patagucci

Last edited:
My R1 fleece is a main piece of my layering system. So Patagonia is somewhat of a hunting organization whether they want to be or not.

Yvon Chouinard is also a pretty big fisherman. Hard to be anti-hunting and pro-fishing.
I met him hunting one year a long time after I 1st met him in 68'. He was trying to take his 1st blacktail with a straight bow.
He seemed torn by his green/bloodred beliefs when I talked with him & shared water, cheese & bread.He did not really know me from adam. 1994

I was a Sclubber from 66-71.I quit when they got a bit too green for me as were their $ went. That was after I learned to climb @ Yosemite Mountaineering School,Ivon was co owner with Royal Robbins. They got big in SC then I heard backed a bit after dust up of pitons & climbing from real bunny huggers.They continued with membership I know & changed climbing forever with new non-damaging ways to climb.
Same with Aowdabird . Hey,I watch birds.
Was also TU,DU & CA-MDF. At one time.
I have only been a RMEF & BHA member since.

Last edited:
Yeah, the NRA would be best served by keeping to Second Amendment Issues. http://www.delalbright.com/Access/nra_access.html

And yeah, I *would* send them money if they stuck to the Second Amendment.

:hump::hump::hump: These topics can make for some strange, wouldn't normally mix, associations.
Wonder if Patagonia and the NRA could collaborate on clothing? NRA logo wear on a Synchilla Pullover.......... Probably Not

Last edited:
I think I remember a hunt picture or caption in a Patagonia catalog a year or two ago. Seems like I do anyway.
HD

You start to make a habit of this, you gonna be real busy.
S%&t, I'll have take an online etiquette course on this now............

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back