Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Unit 7

Gunner46

Has anyone spent time in this playground ? I've looked over the Dept maps and played with google earth.

It looks like there is adequate public access.

Yes, No's ?

I was thinking about staying at the Hilltop again, and get my grub at Woody's. (Hope that pretty blonde with the nice,eh, focal points still works there)

Still debating on whether to put in for a region B deer tag. I hunted south of Newcastle last time, and saw more deer outside my motel room and downtown main street, than I did afield.

I hunted it a couple of years ago before the huge winterkill a few years back. I have a buddy that lives in Newcastle and he said the herd is slowly rebounding. He thinks they are still selling too many buck tags for the unit compared to how many bucks there are. They also only give out 50 doe tags. I wanted to go there this year, but changed my mind after his information. Which sucks, because there is a metric crapton of public access. He said if you're looking for an average buck, then it's ok, but get doe tags in 27. But, there is always the prime rib at the Pizza barn :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks John. Both for your service and the heads up. And let's not forget the Woody's focal point !

But, there is always the prime rib at the Pizza barn :cool:

I'm surprised you don't hunt there every year JUST so you could go to the Pizza barn. I swear if a guy searched Cushman and Pizza Barn together, there'd be a good 50 posts that would meet that criteria!

I'm surprised you don't hunt there every year JUST so you could go to the Pizza barn. I swear if a guy searched Cushman and Pizza Barn together, there'd be a good 50 posts that would meet that criteria!

But it's fat guy tested and fat guy approved :p Maybe I can get them to sponsor me...?

Lots of areas with better than representative bucks. I just wonder why so many want to hunt in NE corner and Sheridan areas? Access or ease of drawing tags? Lots of great hunting in non "blue chip areas". With some patience you can get a much better than a 12 in. buck. The desert areas are fun to hunt and you never know what you might see. Any area in the special draw that takes 2-3 PP, some less, will have good hunting. That being said I bet either will have some good bucks just be patient and look them over.

Thanks Wytex.....

As you may or may not remember, last year was my first "Western" hunt and I was lucky enough to get a buck in unit 16. It was an amazing experience, all on my own, and I learned a LOT!
My reasons for comparing the two units are: If I had to go back to 16, I already have the base knowledge. And both units are likely a possibility for me with a single point from last year.

* TRUST ME.... I am ALL ears, if you want to PM me a better plan/idea/unit! :)
I'll do all the research if you think it's possible for me to get into a unit with more land or better access. 16 was TIGHT!

Thanks so much!

Don

I was all about unit 7 from hunting it before, until I talked to my buddy that lives there a couple weeks ago. I don't remember who all I recommended it to in PM, but disregard my advice lol Don, if you know 16, then stick with it.

I do understand if a deer tag comes into play for the same area. Lots of areas around the mid part of the state and along I-80 that have great antelope hunting, Red Desert too. Just wondering if the access is easier up there? Must have good draw odds for NR without many PP. I can say that some B&C bucks come out of lots of scattered areas not known as trophy areas. Some of the areas in the 40's and 50's are good ones, don't overlook the type 2 tags also. They may have a later opening date or restrictions on specific parts of areas but can have great hunting with better draw odds. If you know an area and have had success then stay with it but if hunting it was a pain then don't be afraid to try another area. Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side. Unless numbers are really low in an area I would say it probably has some good bucks to be found.

Thanks guys!!

Yea, I think the reason NorthEast gets a lot of attn, is that a NR can get into a unit with no points. I did that last year, and had a great time, but MAN was it crowded, and the access is TIGHT!

I hunted unit 9 a couple of years ago and went the 2nd week of the season. I saw a total of 2 other hunters.

I do not like to play the points game at my age. I look at leftovers and always have had a good hunt with some research and help from fellow hunters.Hunted unit 8 on a leftover and saw antelope everyday but not in large numbers.

Last edited:
Did my first ever antelope hunt there several years ago before the die-off. It was amazing!! Hunted with my son and daughter and we all shot really nice bucks. Talk to the biologist for tips on areas where you will be more successful. If Isabella's Restaurant is still there in New Castle be sure to try it. Great food and great desserts all made fresh daily.

hunted 7 last year. Plan on going again this year through the special draw. saw upwards of 100 pronghorn a day on public land. We hunted for 2 days and shot these bucks. We saw very few of this caliber of buck in the unit, perhaps 5-7 total, 2 of which we shot. I shot mine on a small chunk of state land (Thanks onXMaps!) and dad shot his on the National Grasslands. If you are not overly concerned with inches of horn, I think you would have a good experience in 7.
danlope.jpgdavelope.jpg

Last edited:
I bowhunted there 8 years ago and wiffed on a P&Y buck. My buddy that lives in Newcastle says they are giving out way too many buck tags than the area can support and the bucks aren't recovering after the winterkill a while back. Unit 7 has become a cash cow because of it being easy to draw and a good amount of tags being handed out and a decent amount of public land, but they are really screwing the herd. It's no wonder they only give out 50 doe tags.

AMU #7 will forever hold a special place in my heart as it is the area my then-8 yo son and I landed when we decided to do our first ever western hunt in 2010. That experience got me as hooked as any crack addict! It's stunning country and whether you come from the east or the west you drive through some stunning country to get there! The access, relative to other units in NE Wyo at least, is excellent.

A lot has changed since I was there as others have said. I got my tag as a leftover and my hunting partner got 2 doe tags as leftovers none of which were difficult at all to fill. Since a couple of rough winters tags are way down with populations, but access is still excellent. If you can get a tag I'd go.

Heck, if a hunting pard of mine can get a tag I'll go; I just gotta be out there once a year. Like I said... crack fiends got nothing on me...

Hope ya make it and if you do be sure to post up pics & a report here!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back