Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to the Forum: From Boston

fishspook

Greetings Hunt Talkers,

I'll try to be concise:

My name is Spencer. I just joined the forum today although I think I've consumed everything that Randy has published over the last couple of years.

I grew up in Utah(not hunting), picked up hunting as an adult three years ago. I'm still a newbie in many respects, although I've had some beginners luck in Utah prior to moving to Boston a year ago.

I live just outside Boston, MA. I'm married, and we have four kids (9 years - 3 years). I miss the wild places in the west.

I'm currently obsessing about making a trip to Montana this coming November to try to do a rifle mule deer hunt, 2000 miles from home, in a spot I've never been, by myself. I understand that with my inexperience and the other factors, the odds of harvesting are pretty long, but I'm just aching to be out there trying.

I'm joining the forum to learn, and fuel my ambition.

Thanks,

Spencer

Welcome, make the trip to montana! Find some public land or block management and hunt, probably won't kill a giant but you will see deer and likely be successful.

I Guarantee you won't shoot a Muley in Boston so give it a go

Where in Boston? I live in Medford, and have done Montana for Elk in 2014, 2015 and then Wyoming in 2016. Solo twice, partner once. It's certainly doable!

Go for it, one thing about it you won't have habits to break. Read, watch, ask questions and absorb anything you can get your hands on. Do a search for topics on here and there are tons and tons of info. Good luck don't wait. If you want a prep hunt close to home do a hunt n the big woods of Maine. If you don't get a deer, bag a few hares and some grouse.

more people from the Boston area than i thought. I guess I was ignorant thinking I wad going to be the only one on here from around Boston.

Thanks for the kind replies.

Brendan, we live in Wrentham. That's inspiring if you've made the trip out there three times to hunt. Takes a lot of work. Did you drive or fly?

teamhoyt, I'm definitively hoping to do a hunt on Forest Service or BLM land. I feel like a part owner, and I want to survey my kingdom. They say the best fertilizer is the owners footsteps.

VAspeedgoat, I love your avatar picture. I have a couple of Wyoming antelope points, so that one is coming soon. Good luck getting speedgoats to VA.

glass eye, I wish I knew something about waterfowl hunting in New England. I don't, but I'll let you know when I figure it out. I've got a bag of decoys in my shed that haven't seen the light of day since I moved here.

I've driven every time, and taken two weeks for each trip. Shoot me a message if you want to connect off-line, happy to help.

Grew up on a river where people launch their duck boats in view of the house, my dad used to go some, and I can hear people shooting at ducks from my deer stand - but that's as close as I've gotten to waterfowl hunting because I'm usually chasing whitetail and can never seal the deal early.

Lots of great fishing here, and lots of good deer in the eastern half of the state - it'd surprise most people from out west although suburban hunting can be quite different. I think this was the state record from 2012 at 201lbs, 16pts, 198"

http://www.telegram.com/storyimage/WT/20121127/COLUMN10/111279968/AR/0/AR-111279968.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back