Changed My Life!

RustBelt

As I turned 31 back in September and going through some massive soul searching and depression I came across the Gritty Bowmen. Before I go any further I feel I need to give some back story. I grew up around guns and in an area with hunters but didn't have any friends who hunted and the only family member was my uncle, but he was never the type to want to teach me. As I got out of the Marine Corps in 2007 i started to question where my food came from and started to realize that my simple love of being outdoors gave me a feeling like I have never felt before, but I didn't do anything about it. I just kept living the life of work, home, sleep and back to work. Yet for some reason out of nowhere I walked into a local shop and walked out with my first bow ever for no reason other then the fact that I wanted to learn to shoot a bow and potentially hunt someday. Fast forward to last year when I came across the Gritty Bowmen podcast which eventually lead me other folks like Steve Rinella's MeatEater, Hushin, Remi Warren and Randy Newberg! Simply listening to these folks has changed my life and my outlook at who I am becoming. I still have yet to go hunting, or fishing for that matter but this will be my first year. Obviously I want to be successful, but for me that's not the end all be all. Simply getting out there with nature alone has changed my world and my outlook on conservation. I have dreams to one day make it out west to God's Country but I am from Ohio and it will be awhile. If any folks from Ohio or West Virginia read this then your more than welcome to comment back because any knowledge I can learn from folks especially people local to me is always welcome! I am looking forward to my future of trying to become a hunter and conservationist and hopefully one day be able to put food on the table for my family to survive!

Jeromi

Thank you Blake. I am looking forward to the new journey in my life. Upset that it took me 31 years to finally take up Hunting and Fishing but hope to make up for all that time lost!

Welcome! A lot of big bucks in Ohio I hear. Join a local archery club or sportsmen's club and get to meet some like minded people. I would start with a hunter education class for sure. You'll learn a lot and most importantly about safety. http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/education-and-outdoor-discovery/hunter-and-trapper-education From the looks of it Ohio has some good classes and programs to get involved with. For a first time hunter I would REALLY be interested in that mentored small game hunt they mention in the link I shared.

I did sign up for an upcoming Hunters Safety Course and just sent an email out about the Mentor Hunt and the Bowhunter course as well!

I am from Canton, Ohio. I will have to start hunting on what little public land we have here. I do however have 200 acres in WV that I am allowed to hunt. It is in the middle of the mountains and kind of intimidating to me right now though.

If you haven't already I would highly suggest getting Steven Rinella's books "Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, Cooking Wild Game" Both volumes.

Wow, what a powerful first post. I certainly wish you well on your journey. I can give some general advise to you based on limited experience and some reading. As I understand the Wayne national forest has a knack for producing some good hunting especially during bow season. I've read that there are some abandoned orchards that provide early food sources and good hunting if you spend some time on google earth and scouting.

Where in WV can you hunt. P.m. if you dont want to post it. I went to school in Morgantown and know a few places to hunt the University forest also.

Semper Fi! I've no experience in Ohio but I have been kicking around PA and WV for a bit. There's some great trout fishing in this area and a fair amount of hunting opportunities in both states. Good luck on your journey and head out west sooner rather than later!

Your only about 20 miles east of me. We start doing 3-d shoots in March and you're welcome to tag along. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Glad to see you here. Thanks for a great intro. Hope you find our camp welcoming.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back