Yeti GOBOX Collection

Better Way Than the Jose Way

Read this story in the Rural Montana electric co-op magazine. People working together to solve a problem. Great job by all involved!

[

For the TL:DR crowd.....

Power company creates situation that kills wildlife.

Non-profit organizations step up to fund solution to repair deadly situation caused by power company.

BHR celebrates as a model to fix issues impacting wildlife.

Hey BHR, why don't you start a fundraiser to fix the Super Fund site in Anaconda? Or Tri-Cities, Or Stibnite, or any of the other places wildlife are harmed by industry?

That seems like a scalable model, if only you lead it....

For the TL:DR crowd.....

Power company creates situation that kills wildlife.

Non-profit organizations step up to fund solution to repair deadly situation caused by power company.

BHR celebrates as a model to fix issues impacting wildlife.

Hey BHR, why don't you start a fundraiser to fix the Super Fund site in Anaconda? Or Tri-Cities, Or Stibnite, or any of the other places wildlife are harmed by industry?

That seems like a scalable model, if only you lead it....

Thanks for reading the story Jose.

Pretty easy for the power company to "work together" when someone else funds the entire project.

I guess the positive thing is, fall river electric didn't oppose spending others money to fix this.

Pretty easy for the power company to "work together" when someone else funds the entire project.

I guess the positive thing is, fall river electric didn't oppose spending others money to fix this.

The power company caused the problem why didn't they put up the money to rectify the problem?

OK, lets get together and complain about a power company not spending its money. The problem was solved, the giant birds are no longer committing suicide. It looks to me like case closed, in spite of the "evil" power company. Good grief!

OK, now lets attack all of the "green" power created by giant wind farms that are murdering all kinds of birds at an alarming rate. There is no free lunch.

I think they feel the Slough is human gratis for swans so the lines are "no harm, no foul". They don't owe. In fact, they are mighty big for playing along. I'm sure they will use it for PR when telling someone how green they are.

Well, we hit a magpie with a haul truck last year. Wonder which mines are killing the other 7,899,999 birds?

Historically the area was not used by swans and they've only discovered it since post-1980's? Oh they rebounded(undoubtedly from some other man made source of death). I guess you can't fault the power company if no swans were there at time of construction. Strange situation.

Here's what's killing birds, btw:

View attachment 67678

From your "source." https://thinkprogress.org/chart-how...nd-solar-oil-and-coal-230d2a939bbb#.n4n9sb5xg

The results should be taken with a grain of salt. As U.S. News noted, each study used a different methodology to come up with their numbers. “There’s no standardized way of doing it that everyone can agree to,” Garry George, the renewable energy director for Audubon California, told the magazine.

As for coal, those bird death numbers came from a peer-reviewed study in the journal Renewable Energy. That estimate had a more sweeping methodology, though, with the study’s author including everything from coal mining to production — and bird deaths from climate change that coal emissions produce. Together, that amounted to about five birds per gigawatt-hour of energy produced by coal, almost 8 million per year.

Either way, U.S. News notes that none of these numbers hold a candle to cats, which are estimated to kill 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds every year.

I have zero remorse for blasting cats...

Last edited:
Historically the area was not used by swans and they've only discovered it since post-1980's? Oh they rebounded(undoubtedly from some other man made source of death). I guess you can't fault the power company if no swans were there at time of construction. Strange situation.

Nobody is faulting the power company.

People are faulting BHR for thinking that there is some sort of "Better Way" that relies on non-profit groups and individuals donating money to solve issues created by industry.

I think.

It is really not clear why BHR thinks this story has anything to do with a "Better Way".

I think what I missed the first time reading is that this is a power co-op, not a company or corporation per se. Correct me if I am wrong. I guess that makes a little more sense to me now. I guess I would have to know what the split was between co-op funds and funds from the organizations listed to pass judgement. If the co-op was responsible for the majority of the funds I don't have a big issue with it. IMO they maybe should have offered to match or double every dollar donated from outside sources. I see Jose's point that this is sort of a "we have a problem, help us fix it" scenario

Last edited:
It is really not clear why BHR thinks this story has anything to do with a "Better Way".
Although it is an interesting story with a positive outcome, it really lacks any rationale for a "better way".

It smells to me like just a distorted stretch to take a demeaning poke at Jose.

The bigger question is, where are they mining solar and wind:confused:

In virtually unregulated Chinese rare-earth mineral strip mines. As well as ones a bit less environmentally degrading in countries that actually have laws.

rare-earth.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back