Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gohunt and huntingfool

If you took Eastmans and HuntersTrailhead, combined them, modified the content and put it on the web, you'd have something close to GoHunt; stories, how to articles, odds, and unit summaries, all on the web.
Hunting fool ranks hunt units, GoHunt does not. GoHunt provides odds, HF does not. I think it depends on what you want as far as information goes.

Last edited:
I've always gone off of information posted on the state game websites, but also recently found a free site called TopRut. It's pretty handy, and seems to be accurate for at least the Wyoming and Colorado draw odds.

Ive been doing that as well for MT and WY, but I want to start applying to other states, it be nice to have some help with everything. From the looks of things only huntingfool offers application assistance.

The son of the HF founder left in a dust up then the founder sold HF. The son and some friends, most were also at HF, have launched Epic and is similar to HF as ranks hunt units and offers an application service. I am winding down my hunts from 2-4 per year to maybe 1 per every 3-5 years (mainly trying for Big 3 and some very, very tough to draw hunts) but still like parsing the numbers and various suggestions so get HF, Epic, Eastmans and GoHunt and use OnXMap chips. And spend a few hours a week on here.

One thing HF offers that no one else does, as far as I know, is a list of HF members that drew a tag you just drew. Sometimes is dozens of names going back years and sometimes no names. HF only offers one phone number for contact and no email, etc. I have about 10% success getting through to a prior hunter where get very useful info. Most of my tags are harder to draw so prior hunters may be more willing to share on that type of tag compared to one they can draw again about any year. Why only 10%? About 1/3 of the phone numbers are no longer valid for that member (moved, divorced, died...hey some of us are old), sometimes do not get calls back when number is valid and sometimes the info provided is not that useful. But, when they share good info is really useful such as if they had cell phone coverage on the ridges, nearby place to get gas or camp, places to glass, where to focus on hunting including GPS coordinates sometimes or even have sent me their old maps, time of day saw animals and how many and how large, etc. Most of my hunts are 1000 miles or more from home so having good info prior to getting to the hunt is worth a lot.

I subscribed to HF for 20 years but also switched to GoHunt last year. Biggest reason was the accurate draw odds. I got 20+ points in many states, and an aging body. I have no time to screw around any more. I want to use my points. Also HF added a bunch of stuff I'm not interested in such as Kentucky elk. Odds for those are unrealistic and not even worth bothering with, for what you get, an average elk hunt.

I've found the GoHunt website navigates very slow for my pretty basic laptop, better on my iPhone. Because they have a lot of filters. Anyway the jury is still out, but having the real odds alone is worth trying it out.

Quick question for you other GoHunt members. When you compare draw odds do you enter your pre-lottery 2016 point total, or current 2017. To me it looks like your 2016 points, despite the instructons specifying current.

Last edited:
Everybody is providing odds for the previous years draw with the exception of Ron Wold who provides predictive odds for Oregon. You need to deduct the drawn apps from the max point pools to see where you are for this year. That scenario assumes no changes to tags and apps, which doesn't happen but it's the best way to see where you really are going into 2017. The difference can change a 0% chance to 100%.

Yes and that's about how much my Arizona odds changed due to their system "change". According to GoHunt our odds went from 100% this year to 2.9%. What a deal.

Yes and that's about how much my Arizona odds changed due to their system "change". According to GoHunt our odds went from 100% this year to 2.9%. What a deal.

I sent you the data; unless I'm mistaken on your points they'll draw half your point pool this year.

Not going to happen. Been sorting through 5 different odds sources and none of them added up to a tag for either of our selections. Not when you take into account how many guys drop down each year from chasing 9.

And after the scam Arizona pulled last year I formulated serious exit plans for all my 20+ point hunts. I'm getting out before being screwed again in those states as well. These states remind me of my unemployed ex and her lying attorney. Want easy money at anyone's expense. No ethics whatsoever. I'm really surprised HF, GoHunt, etc. never talks about this because it's the reality for their clients. Fact, not an opinion.

Last edited:
If you took Eastmans and HuntersTrailhead, combined them, modified the content and put it on the web, you'd have something close to GoHunt; stories, how to articles, odds, and unit summaries, all on the web.
Hunting fool ranks hunt units, GoHunt does not. GoHunt provides odds, HF does not. I think it depends on what you want as far as information goes.

Huntin fool does provide odds. It is on the members website. Just have to do a little searching for the particular unit that you want.

good luck to all
the dog

Well I feel a lot better tonight. After much pondering and study of GOhunt draw odds, figuring the massive Colorado point creep, I have a solid exit strategy to get rid of those 20 elk points. They can eat their own carrot. 100% odds last two years for this hunt in my point pool. Well that is if they don't come up with another NR point devaluing scheme between now and the deadline. That's a big if.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back