Caribou Gear

What raft?

I had a 12' NRS raft with a frame that was awesome. unfortunately I didn't use it as much as I would like, and I needed the space so I sold it last summer. They are the best brand in my opinion.

What did you end up buying? I’m in the market for one soon too. 14’ with frame.

I just spent a week with some river guides. They said RMR are a good deal for the money.

I just spent a week with some river guides. They said RMR are a good deal for the money.
I don’t have any complaints. I got that one right before Christmas. They have package deals that save you money versus buying all of the parts individually. I use an old snowmobile trailer to haul it.

I don’t have any complaints. I got that one right before Christmas. They have package deals that save you money versus buying all of the parts individually. I use an old snowmobile trailer to haul it.
You can find a lot of package deals n Craigslist and FB too. There’s a 14’ Aire in Billings I’m sorely tempted to buy.

I researched rafts to death last year. I decided that the aire super duper puma checked most of the boxes. It is a narrow raft, with plenty of rocker. It is also fairly light. I have an nrs frame on it. I use a cooler at the bow for the forward seat. I have a lean bar at the bow a well. The floor is solid enough to stand on. The boat rows nicely. I went all out with oars. I got the Sawyer Smoker Bandits. Expensive but wow are they light. If you have a Misses in your life, it is well worth the cost.

I plan to get thwarts and paddles this year so we can pile some people in it and have some fun. But for a fishing raft that hull design is tough to beat. It can handle some tight spots.

Now, trying to find one though could be a challenge.

I bought a 13.5 ft Saturn and it's been a blast, equipped it with an NRS Bighorn frame. Its been a great boat for fishing and whitewater. She's seen water in 4 states, hit the Salmon in high runoff in June and it did just fine. For the price point its a great boat. AIRE / NRS / Mireva are probably a little higher quality but I haven't had an issue with it in the 5 years I've owned it.

Two years ago I spent a lot of time researching and thinking about what I really wanted and how I was planning to use it. I really was leaning towards the AIRE Puma but after being in a 13' one with a buddy several times, it's narrow and three people with gear is tight. The sleekness of it is awesome on skinny water though. My brother has a AIRE Tributary 14' and it is nice with good room for three people. But that thing was heavy if we ever needed to portage. Also if on skinny water wasn't as easy to maneuver. I'd also been in a Sotar Strike several times and it was nice. I just felt I wanted something with more rocker in the front.

I ended up going with the NRS Otter 130. It's in between width and weight of the other two. After two years, I really like it and it does everything I want. If I had to do it over, I probably would have gotten the 14'.

As was mentioned, buy really good oars.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back