Bullet Choice

Bullet Choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I selected the Nosler Accubond, because that's the bullet I use the most. 90 gr in the .243, 140 in the 7mm-08, 160 in the 7x57, 165 and 180 in the .30-06, 180 and 200 in the .300 WSM. I do use the Partitions in my .35 Whelen. Right now I'm playing with a new rifle, trying BT's, Accubonds and Partitions in a 6.5x55.

If I ever win the lottery I'm going to commission Nosler to make a Partition to use in my .348 Winchester!!

You all make excellent points. However, here's my two cents, and the reason I put this selection of bullets up there. The Nosler AB is the hands-down favorite, which, is not surprising. It is a sensationally built bullet that will do the job it's given. I've done it many times. Frankly, nearly the entire line of Nosler products is second to none. What I've found is that, all factors being equal, i.e.; brass, primer, powder, bullet weight. I've found the Barnes bullets, at least in my rifle, fly with spectacular accuracy. It is somewhat disappointing I haven't yet found the right recipe to make the Nosler AB and BT fly with the same accuracy i expect. That's not in anyway a slap at Nosler, nor is this an endorsement of Barnes. My conclusion, after 100's of rounds fired, is that, at least in my rifle, the Barnes is the more accurate bullet. What I've not had the opportunity to do, is use them in the field and take an animal with them. That's coming though very soon.

I can pretty well guarantee you that as long as you heed the minimum velocity recommendations from Barnes, any animal that doesn't die from one of your loads is not going to be the fault of the bullet. Your hollow point bullet from the past is not even relevant to the hollow point design of the Barnes.

I can pretty well guarantee you that as long as you heed the minimum velocity recommendations from Barnes, any animal that doesn't die from one of your loads is not going to be the fault of the bullet. Your hollow point bullet from the past is not even relevant to the hollow point design of the Barnes.

I'm kinda gathering that from the discussion and photos. The Barnes hollow points are in a category all by themselves. I just ordered some TSX and I'm anxious to put them to work.

I use the Nosler BT's & AB's,but recently have been reloading with the Barnes TTSX,very accurate bullet. I couldn't tell you how well they expand past 300yds.,but under 300 yds.,only have pass through and DRT results.

I use the Nosler BT's & AB's,but recently have been reloading with the Barnes TTSX,very accurate bullet. I couldn't tell you how well they expand past 300yds.,but under 300 yds.,only have pass through and DRT results.

What caliber, bullet weight, and game you used the TTSX for?

Last edited:
To be honest guys, I've never embraced the 'one bullet for everything' concept. Nice conceptual premise, but it's just not real world. I generally go to the Ballistic Tip for my all around choice. With that said, I have an ample supply of Accubonds on hand for when I feel they might be of a more appropriate construction, as well as small stockpile of Barnes, for the same reason. They all shoot well enough in all my rifles, when I do my part.

I try to match the bullet to the game/range/terrain.

It's seemed to have worked out pretty well for the past 25 yrs, so I'll keep sticking to the plan.

All the premium bullets mentioned above are proven and have proper applications, which won't perform well used outside of those applications. Some are made to hold together, some not. Both types do a good job of killing when used under the advice of the manufacturers.

Your read my mind.

I reload 130 gr .270 for sheep/caribou and 180 gr 300 H&H for moose.
I've been very happy with either Nozler Partition or Barnes TSX.
Bullet seating from the lands is very different, but both excellent bullets.

Almost all of my shots have been less than 200 yards...

I m a standard cup and core kind of guy. My rifles have always performed well on game for me. I prefer Hornady Interlocks and Nosler Partitions. I also like Speer and Sierra, but in special applications.

I have tried the so called "premiums" with less than stellar results. I will be sticking to Interlocks and Partitions so long as they keep making them

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back