35 years ago today and a surprise

kansasdad

Thirty five years ago today I had my first date with Lynne. We were in our last semester of college, it was homecoming with a concert on Friday night and the basketball game on Saturday. Lynne and my sister were friends, and there was a little push from my sister to ask Lynne to the concert. I asked, she said yes, so off we went.

After the concert we joined my sister and her fiancé at some adoptive grandparents for an ice cream sundae.

image.jpg kansasdad (and Mrs kansasdad) on the left.

Several card games were played, good conversation and laughter and then I suddenly realized how late it had become!! ORU had a curfew for females living in the dormitory. Curfew was 1 am for weekends and we were about a twenty minute drive from campus.......and it was 12:45.

Flying fast out the door, I did get Lynne back a few minutes late, but as she was a RA the desk lady assumed that she had just finished sitting desk duty at another dorm and was supposed to be waltzing in after curfew.

A second date happened, and a strong friendship developed, which grew into a deep love. After graduation Lynne found a job so that she could stay in Tulsa, and I started dental school that fall. We continued to grow in love, and 21 months after our first date we married.

About a month ago, Mrs kansasdad told me to save the weekend of February 4-5, (our anniversary of the first date) as she had something planned. After checking into our hotel room, she said that she wanted to go to Cabelas to see if we could get her a chair with a back support for us the next time we went out hunting together. As we walked in to the store, I said aloud, "I wonder where the chairs might be?" She replied, "Let's try over here", pointing towards the back of the store.

As we neared the archery area, she grabbed my arm, and said, "so, we are really here today to get you a bow. Do you think you want a compound bow or a crossbow?" I started to protest, and she looked at me with THE LOOK that says, this is going to happen today.

The archery associate looked like he was about 15 years old, but he knew how to make me take some time talking out pros/cons and showed us some options. Shooting several different options, I now have crossed the threshold over into archery. With some wrist and shoulder history, I ended up choosing a crossbow,

Early turkey and deer seasons beckon, crossbow and bolts in hand. Thanks Lynne.

Last edited:
Congrats Kansasdad!
As I read your story I realized I too met my wife at college 35 years ago last month, due to a wrong phone number, I'm guessing your thoughtful remembrance will earn you karma points I missed.

Enjoyable story, Kansas. Congratulations! 35 years from that first date...

I assume the next stop, after Cabelas, was to a jewelry store?? Thanks for sharing your story,very cool.

Usually when I get "the look" it means if you do that you're going to be very sorry.

Great story my friend. Congrats..I'd say you are both very lucky. You do realize you will now be shunned on here for the crossbow (not from me though) So what did you end up getting?

That's awesome!! A much nicer story than how I started with my wife....lol But, I finally got it right. Congrats on the new bow!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back