colorado bear sizes

M

MAP1

I have a few Colorado nr bear points and may hunt this fall. I've harvested a few bears but looking for a decent size color phase. What size bear is doable in Colorado?

I think 350 lbs would be a good bear, but I have seen some absolute pigs on the Grand Mesa. I wouldn't worry about building points for bear in co. Unless there is some golden ticket unit that I don't know about, most bears come off of otc or easy to draw units. Iv'e run into them just about everywhere in western CO from Durango to Craig.

I've heard that Bosque de Oso near Trinidad has numerous bears (go figure) due to that fact they dump trapped problem bears down there. Maybe call up the local biologist or CPW office to see what they say. I've never been down there even though I can darn near see it from my house, so I can't help you on what size bears to expect...

Generally speaking color phase bears seem to be smaller, partly because I think people pull the trigger on much smaller bears, but in the Rockies you just aren't going to see as many tanker bears. While huge bores do exist I think a 7ft is would be like hoping to shoot a 400inch elk... when I have asked biologists in MT and ID about average bear size in the checking station they have said 4'6" to 5'2" is the typical range for a good bear, and they rarely do they have a bear over 6 ft come, the biologist in Bozeman said she had seen 2 in 5 years.

I've never hunted them in CO, but the last 4-5 years have seen a huge increase in bear sightings during our other seasons. For the most part, they're on the smaller side, but I would say 80%+ of the bears we see are color-phased. Mostly deep cinnamon. This is mainly in Grand, Routt and Jackson counties.

I used to see a lot of color phase bears in southern Colorado. One day while archery elk hunting I saw a brown, a red, and a blonde bear in the same valley...
In central Colorado it seems I see mostly brown. The front range has mostly black. I'm not a die hard bear hunter but have taken a few, including one over 7ft, and I think finding a 6'+ blonde might be easier to do at Panama Beach in March.

I have a few Colorado nr bear points and may hunt this fall. I've harvested a few bears but looking for a decent size color phase. What size bear is doable in Colorado?

The biggest black bear I have ever seen was at the Walmart in Steamboat Springs at 4 AM.

Of the bears, I seen when I lived in Colorado I can only remember one being jet black. Most were dark brown (Chocolate), but it might have just been the ones I came across.

I had a guy from a little north of me here in Indiana take a black bear last year around Vail that was the biggest Black bear I have ever seen...an absolute beast. It was an old bear with hardly any teeth at all....I'm trying to get some pics of it now to share...It dwarfed the 500 lb bear that I seen get killed by Fredric, Wisconsin many years ago.

If killing a good size color phase Colorado bear was my priority I would focus on GMU 61 with a September rifle tag and plan on glassing my guts out.

20170206_141911.jpg Brother shot this one off the grand mesa a couple years ago. Most of the bears they see are color phase around 200 pounds.

I would have to say that the 400lb bear is very rare but there are a few in CO I think we have bigger bears than most of the western states given there is no baiting, no spring season and no running with dogs. Most bears in this state live longer than most, but that is because they are hard to kill. We do see quite a few color phase bears but I would say a 200lb bear is average. Also for the reasons above we have quite a few bears in a good area I have glassed as many as 5 in a morning.

I can't begin to tell you how much I wish there was a spring season.

Spring bears are addicting. Nothing I'd rather be doing in April and May after a long winter. We rarely kill them but it's very interesting to observe their behaviors up close or through a spotter.

The cool thing about spring is how active they are during daylight and how hungry they are. We have one good glassing spot where a slow evening you will only see 2, but typically you'll be watching 4-6 at a time from 6pm till dark. In the Fall on the same rock I glass from you'll be lucky to see one or two. Too nocturnal.

I would have to say that the 400lb bear is very rare but there are a few in CO I think we have bigger bears than most of the western states given there is no baiting, no spring season and no running with dogs. Most bears in this state live longer than most, but that is because they are hard to kill. We do see quite a few color phase bears but I would say a 200lb bear is average. Also for the reasons above we have quite a few bears in a good area I have glassed as many as 5 in a morning.

I can't begin to tell you how much I wish there was a spring season.

Agreed, I really wish we had a spring season. I have been buying points for Utah to try out a spring hunt.

Last edited:
A 400 lb. black bear is like the 200 lb. wolf... Mainly in the fairy tales the local rednecks tell.

I agree that 400 lb bears are uncommon, but there are a few running around. I was just reading an article the other day by CPW that said most bears in Colorado go into the winter between 150 - 400 lbs. :)

Agreed, I really wish we had a spring season. I have been buying points for Utah to try out a spring hunt.

Forget about points. Idaho or Montana, multiple bear sightings daily on OTC tags. 8 week season, cheap, spring or fall. It's a calendar year tag so actually 16 weeks.

Forget about points. Idaho or Montana, multiple bear sightings daily on OTC tags. 8 week season, cheap, spring or fall. It's a calendar year tag so actually 16 weeks.

MT and ID are on my list to try for sure. UT is nice because its only an hour or so drive for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back