Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Arizona Elk

BeartoothFront

I saw something last year about how you could apply with your license from last year as long as you haven't passed the purchase date. Is this true? Has anyone done this before? What happens if you draw but they notice you don't have a active license?

You can apply with last year's license, but you must have a valid license at the time the draw is conducted or you are out of luck.

I could be wrong but I think if your license is valid at the time of the draw, you are good. That way you don't have to buy two licenses in one calendar year.

I could be wrong but I think if your license is valid at the time of the draw, you are good. That way you don't have to buy two licenses in one calendar year.

Correct. But you must have a valid hunting license during the hunt, so if you draw, you will need to buy another.

I don't think is like Utah where you can buy a license every other year.

This was discussed last year and the consensus was that you had to buy one every year you applied.

If for some reason you already bought a license last fall that license would still be good for this spring draw, but not for the fall draw too.

The kicker is that they require an active license when the draw happens, not just when you apply.

At least that is my understanding. Would be nice to save the $160 every other year but right now I'm not risking it.

From Page 8 of the 2017 Pronghorn Antelope and Elk Hunt Draw Information book from Arizona:

"An applicant must possess a license (including lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw."

You can double dip a little in AZ, but not like you can in Utah due to AZ's staggered elk/antelope vs deer draw deadlines. You will still end up needing to buy a license in June or whenever the deer application period is open if you enter that drawing. But then you're set for the following year's elk draw.

Remember that AZ is on a 7 year cycle that just kicked back for the 2017 draw so if you decide to span two years with a license this is the year to start. Extensions to the draw date have no affect; it's the advertised closing date of the application period.

Remember that AZ is on a 7 year cycle that just kicked back for the 2017 draw so if you decide to span two years with a license this is the year to start. Extensions to the draw date have no affect; it's the advertised closing date of the application period.

They got me with that one a couple years ago!! The lady told me exactly what you posted, but I didn't trust her and bought a license at the very last minute when they extended the draw deadline.

You can double dip a little in AZ, but not like you can in Utah due to AZ's staggered elk/antelope vs deer draw deadlines. You will still end up needing to buy a license in June or whenever the deer application period is open if you enter that drawing. But then you're set for the following year's elk draw.

That's how I understand it as well. You can get away with buying a license 2 out of every 3 years because of the staggered draw dates. That's assuming you're applying for deer or sheep in the summer. If you only applied for elk and antelope, you'd be able to buy a license every other year if you bought the license on the last day of the app period. And if you do that, you'd better hope nothing goes wrong and you are able to get your app in.

That's how I understand it as well. You can get away with buying a license 2 out of every 3 years because of the staggered draw dates. That's assuming you're applying for deer or sheep in the summer. If you only applied for elk and antelope, you'd be able to buy a license every other year if you bought the license on the last day of the app period. And if you do that, you'd better hope nothing goes wrong and you are able to get your app in.

Yea that's the problem. If you forget the deadline you don't have any room for error. Also, every few years the deadline will jump a week like it did this year and the cycle starts over so you have to buy a license anyway (unless you bought a license closer to the mule deer deadline the year before)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back