Caribou Gear

Mule deer in Washington??

Pkwebb

Hey fellas!

My name is Kyle and am new to this site. I am looking for any knowledge you guys might have for hunting mule deer in Washington. I'm planning a back pack hunt for archery and have been looking at the alpine unit. Any tips would be great full. Or actually just shooting the breeze about it would be cool!

Thanks kyle

Thanks John �� like this is a great web site. I have never joined a forum before and hopefully this solves my time from now till September!! Lol

I hunted the Okanogan (spelling?) area around republic when I live in WA about 10 years ago. We got bucks, but nothing of any size. I think the town was Republic? Be prepared for crowds though.

Mule Deer WA

Ishootsmallones,

How long did you live in Republic? Parents have been there since '92 maybe.

Even though I live in ID, I love visiting up there!!

Welcome.
Why do you want to hunt mule deer in WA?
I only hunt here because I have to!!
High mountain archery hunt in September...no problem. Go on a scouting trip in August.
No seriously, there's your answer.

Ishootsmallones,

How long did you live in Republic? Parents have been there since '92 maybe.

Even though I live in ID, I love visiting up there!!

Sorry, should have clarified, I lived in Spokane when I was in WA. We drove up to that area to hunt. I agree, it's a beautiful area and I enjoyed my time in WA, but I see alot more mule deer in CO:)

The reason for me wanting to do it is just for something different and the new experience. I'm a little tired of beating the brush here on the west side of Washington for blacktail and then watching the way the elk are running out of feed in the area we elk hunt and then not wanting to buy a permit for the timber company lands. I lived in Davenport wa for 3 years and loved chasing the mule deer around there. Now I would like to try some high country mule deer and see how it goes. Been looking around some area of republic and chelan and alpine lakes. All look really good and can't wait for the snow to go away!! I'm going to try this for a couple seasons and if I really enjoy will then start thinking of out of state. Sorry for the long winded response but just trying to give you fellas about me. Thanks for the responses and keep them coming!! ����

The bucks up in the republic area don't go nocturnal until early October. There's some HOGS up there, go get em!!

The alpine is hammered during the high buck rifle hunt in mid Sept. The only advise I have is try to find places off trail, in that open but not above tree line elevation band, and scout like crazy.

Stalking mule deer up in the high country of Ferry and Okanogan is extremely difficult. The terrain is not friendly to sneaking in close.... that can also be said with the high country of Chelan too. Very low success rates. CO,UT and NV to name a few have great high country archery units that are very favorable to stalking... problem with up north states is the big timber and heavy under brush makes it difficult with almost guaranteed dry conditions in September to get close.

Join Hunt Washington forum..lots of info

Thanks guys, some very good tips. I'm going to try doing it here in Washington for a couple years at least to know if I have the right gear. After that I will try to start venturing into other states. Only reason for Washington is I live here and that makes it a little easier. Are there any fellas on this site that do hunt Washington backcountry for archery mule deer. Would like to hear some stories or there experience.

I am from washington also and am also planning a high country(as high as it gets in WA) hunt too. i did the high hunt last year with no success, i have done a few trips outside the state with better results!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back