American Hunter Coyote article

Aaronmp

I just finished rereading the American Hunter January edition and in it I read an article about educated coyotes. Interesting read about changing tactics. One of the info bits me tioned was using distress then a female howl. Wondered if anyone has tried this since now they're out there hooking up to breed?

Hunting last weekend I discovered that we have a smart one near my farm. You set off with a distress call and he starts barking an alarm. I've got a good idea where he is hanging out and a few ideas as to how to tag him. Once educated you have to be flexible on your calling. Since louder distress calls seem to set this guy off I will avoid them completely. First thing I will try is sneaking in close to his AO right after sunrise and letting loose with some turkey calls and female "in heat" whimpers. If that doesn't work I'll come up with something different.

A buddy of mine mentioned that I should try that. Last weekend, I blew a dominant female howl for a few minutes followed by pup in distress. This coyote came in at a dead run.

Also, I have had luck bringing in pressured coyotes by starting out with a woodpecker in distress, squirrel, something your fly-by-nighters don't jump to. I never use a rabbit if I'm in a pressured area.

Attachments

• IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 140
I have not called many coyotes for a number of years. When I was calling, I did notice that coyotes get educated real quickly. If you miss one, it is going to be tough to get him back. One thing that can work at times is to stay on stand for a longer period than normal. Some smart ones will come sneaking in looking for a meat.

Something else that is overlooked, I think, is that everybody and their dog has an electronic call now. Go back to basics with a hand call and vary your calling. It gives them something different to think about.

Back