Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

antelope in the dark ?

PAGOAT

I like to get to where I want to start my hunting day "1.5 to 2 miles" about at least a half an hour before daylight. My question is how spooky are pronghorns in the dark walking past them ? I use a red headlamp and white tails seem pretty good with it but I was wondering about how many pronghorns I spook on my way into places. maybe I should wait until light to hunt my way in from the truck ? That seems like what most people did. Thanks

Goat

When I got my last antelope in 2014 my brother and I walked into an alfalfa field in the dark and hid behind some big bales and when it got light there were bucks and does within 50 yards just feeding with no idea we were there.

I think the general consensus is that Antelope don't cover a lot of ground which in my opinion would mean they don't see well at night. I just think you're seeing that most people hunt Antelope different than deer or elk. Antelope move much more during the middle of the day.

Lope seem to have terrible vision as light changes, dark to light and especially light to dark. Probably 3/4 of my non decoy archery stalks have been in the first or last hours of lst. I have bumped quite a few on occasion walking in but they don't seem to go far.

Thanks guys this makes me feel better about how I went about my hunt and will continue to do this now.

Goat

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back