Owyhee Rams in Idaho

Dave2643

Any of you folks ever lucky enough to draw a Bighorn tag in the Owyhees? Any tips about best units to put in for and access issues and any other information you care to share. I would love to hunt that country and will be putting in for a tag this year.

For some sub units access across private has gotten harder the last few years but drawing is still the hard part.

I understand the challenge in drawing. I put in for a Rocky Mtn. tag on the Salmon for 14 years before I drew. However, 2 of the 4 tags were drawn by guys who put in for the first time. I figure, somebody's got to draw, might be me again. That's why am glad Idaho does not use a point system.

I drew about ten years ago as a non-resident. There were sheep, but they were scattered. I killed on the fourth morning, shooting from a bench on the north side across the river to the south side. I think they've changed the access up a bit since then and also, maybe the zones a bit. Great hunt. Mine was the second hunt when it was a bit cooler.

Back